Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#345876 06/25/15 10:12 PM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Ho all, just pulled down my wheels on my 28 to adjust the hand brake mechanism and replace the worn clevis pins to find both hand brake bands are bent in at the bottom, has any one come across this before and any clue as to why, RAY see link to a picture . [img]http://www.shop.raycycled.com/?wpsc-product=chev-4-hand-brake-band[/img]

Last edited by RAYCYCLED; 06/25/15 10:31 PM.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Looks like the hand brake band has been distorted from a hard application/s,as these bands "float" making them pretty well self energising.Just re-shape it to the bore of the brake drum by carefully bending over something roughly the same diameter.

CJP'S 29
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
That's about what happens. I remember over 20 years ago going over to Lenny Benny who lived over your way at Revesby and he picked up the bands and a large mallet and gave them a quick bash.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks gents, I did that and 5 hours later have re bushed all the rods and taken out the slop, much better, but i will think on a way to prevent it happening again as it seems all the force is only applied to a limited area of the bands. I also installed a pair of New Billy Possum axles so that re jigged the position of the brake drum . RAY

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have had the same thing happen to my '25 tourer mechanism when I was getting the car inspected for a roadworthy. The tester hauled the brake hard on when the car was moving backwards(not even walking speed). "lets see how the hand brake works" They sure worked, making the car instantly lurch to a stop as the bands knotted up inside the drum. Lesson: do not apply Chev hand brakes when the car is moving backwards! They indeed are self energising in this direction to the point of self destruction. The tester was however impressed at the rapid stop in reverse. Luckily he did not then test it going forward because they would not have worked at all! A big hammer fixed the damage.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.