Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Where would I purchase a carburettor repair kit for a Carter model W1-1 Carb and the same for a Rochester model B
Regards Paul Mitchell.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Check Daytona Parts daytonaparts I have had bought stuff from them for many years.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Paul,

I have learned from one of the "Experts" on this forum that the best needle and seat to use on the W-1 is the original, all metal genuine Carter 25-33S. It fits 1929-49 carbs and I have an extra NOS one if you can use it.

On some of those carburetors the only paper gasket is the float bowl gasket and that's easily made from gasket paper. I've made several using the old one as a pattern and a paper punch to make the holes. So called "pressure balanced" carbs have a tiny gasket between the air horn and the carb body that can be made from gasket paper or a hardware store fiber washer can be used.

The tapered copper washers below the external plugs can be reused if you put a little blue Loc Tite on the threads to seal them.

If you have a 2-screw float bowl a little Permatex anareobic sealer will keep it from leaking. That's not the "Expert" recommended leak fix but it absolutely works without the laborious, time consuming float bowl cover recurving using heat and clamps.

Those W-1 carbs are about as basic as a carburetor can be and are easily cleaned up at home by a hobbyist.

If you decide that the throttle shaft is too loose in the throttle body for your liking readily available (ebay, Summit Racing, Jegs, etc, etc) Rochester Quadrajet bronze bushings fit. The throttle plate screws are #3, 48 tpi hardware store items.

Ray W raywaldbaum@gmail.com.

Last edited by brino; 07/01/15 11:31 AM.
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by Chipper
Check Daytona Parts daytonaparts I have had bought stuff from them for many years.

Just an FYI
I have had great success with everything in the kit from Daytona on my 33. if done right, no leaks and they will perform very well. I should point out I am using a W1 434 with a modified linkage to work on the 33
Dale

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.