Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
vuckod Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I am the recent owner of a 1952 Styleline Deluxe. When I got the car the horns were disconnected and the horn relay was always energized. I took apart the horn button to slove the problem. Knowing that it must be together wrong I tried to assemble it in different ways so the horns would sound only with the horn button or ring pressed. I had some luck. The horns will sound if hard pressure is applied to the steering wheel. Is my assembly incorrect, missing a part or parts,or is there a way to decrease the sesitivity of the assembly? I have not yet found a good exploded view of this assembly to guide me. Any ideas are welcome.
Thank you,
Dave

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
When installing the contact parts its quite simple.First the round flat metal spring goes in.You will see its slightly dished.It is installed with the raised part in the center up.When the ring is depressed it grounds on the center of the steering wheel hub to complete the circuit.That is why its important to have this area of the steering wheel hub clean for good contact.The plastic ring with the three round cut-outs sits on top of the spring.Then the horn ring goes over that.Then the plastic ring with the three bushings drops in with the screws fastening the entire unit together.Tension on the screws also is an adjustment necessary for proper horn operation.My guess is that the hard pressure may be due to the poor grounging of the flat spring in the center of the steering wheel hub--usually due to a repainting of the wheel...Hope this helps......its also necessary to have all the parts described to be correct for your year car.The strength of the spring,thickness of the plastic ring varied thru the years for different applications.

Gene Schneider
vuckod Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Chevgene,

Thank you for your reply. As soon as it gets above freezing in Michigan I will check out the assembly.

Vuckod

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Dave,

Here is a diagram of the horn contact assembly from the Chevy Master Parts Catalog 1929 - 1951.
http://oldchevys.web1000.com/steering.htm

This page shows an earlier model steering wheel, but the set up or assembly is the same for my '51. Hope this helps.

Keith

[Linked Image from oldchevys.web1000.com]

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The parts book illustrations shown are completely different from the 1949 and up horn ring set-up.The older ones do not use the diaphragm spring and plastic pivot.insulator ring or its adjusting screws.The old style is adjusted by the cup below the steering wheel.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Chevy Nut is correct, follow his directions exactly, I only have this to add. The circuit is energized all the time, even with the ignition switch off. the horn switch is in the ground leg of the circuit, pressing the horn button completes the circuit to chassis ground. National Chevy Association in Minnesota may have the parts you need along ith Chevys of the Forties and also The Filling Station. All of these vendors have online ordering.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.