Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#34196 09/30/02 01:47 AM
fiddy2 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Trying to remove interior rust on a '52 truck.
I picked up a bristle brush that attaches to a drill. Unfortunately, it kicks up too much dust. I tried coca-cola. I created a messy mush. I haven't tried a manufactured item. I heard they tend to leave dark spots. Any suggestions would be helpful.

thanks!

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

#34197 09/30/02 03:02 AM
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Hi fiddy2,

Don't know where you are headed with your project, but one of the commercial units that does the media blasting may be your best bet. If you are really serious, then perhaps a commercial stripper/dipper is the way to go. Any method such as your attempts with the wire brush may be hazardous to your health.

Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

#34198 09/30/02 01:13 PM
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic

#34199 09/30/02 03:44 PM
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
I agree completely with the cautions above and have some additional precautions.

I can't reccommend useing the Chemical rust removers (ususlly a mixture of chemicals principally Phosporic acid)you see at the swap meets, they are very toxic, the vapors will quickly do permanent damage to your lungs, and the vapors will also corrode and rust tools and any ferrous items in your shop that aren't painted. Then the clean up of the seams and cracks and crannies is almost impossible, any residue can ruin a high dollar paint job after just a few months.

Try to find a professional blaster that uses several different media,(walnut , and pecan hulls, bicarb of Soda etc. Blasters that know how to blast old cars do a very good job, but be careful of those that do bridges , brick buildings and large industrial projects.

Home sandblasting is a way to go or use other media walnut hulls glassbeads or sand, some drawbacks:
Sandblasting takes a large compressor to run a home sized pressure blaster, at least 7 hp for a small model pressure blaster, you can do with less air on a siphon blaster (blast from a bucket)or a small spot blaster for really small jobs.You may want to consider renting a large engine powered compressor and commercial blaster for a weekend or a couple of days, if you have a place out of town where you can blast without any problems with the neighbors or the law. Sand will get into every thing within a few yards of where you blast,and it takes several hundred pounds to do a car.

Dust from sand is very hard on the lungs, silica dust is very bad and is extra hazardous for seniors and those with respiratory problems, I would advise useing an air supplyed respiration mask and a source of good clean air. a hobby sized one is around $450, so that will pay for a quite of bit of blasting , locally we can get a car body, hood, doors and trunk done for $150 to $200 when you transport to their shop.

Last but not least, as soon as possible prep the bare metal and spray a good coat of SEALER PRIMER the bare steel starts to rust immediately after the blasting takes place. Ordinary lacquer primer does not protect the steel from moisture . You need a sealer primer.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.