Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#332859 01/28/15 06:38 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Working on a 1932 Confederate Coach, and I need to replace a couple of sections of wood framing around the passenger door opening - specifically, the front body hinge pillar and the main sill assembly. Does anyone here have any pictures of this replacement work as it is being done? We have the parts book and the Fisher Body book for '32, but pictures of the actual operation would be helpful, if anyone has any they are willing to share. Thanks

Former Director, Heart of Georgia Region VCCA
1953 3100 truck, 1965 Impala SS, 1965 Chevelle SS
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I replaced both of these pieces (and several others on opposite side and at roof rear) on my '31 Coach, and not a job for the faint hearted. As you may know, the wood carcass was originally fully assembled and then the sheet metal fitted to it. Trying to remove the wood from the sheetmetal a piece at a time and replace is difficult, but not impossible.

As for the sill pieces, a scarf joint or sandwich job using a couple of steel plates will suffice to replace a section.

Your bigger task is getting the front door post/hinge pillar made correctly and once installed, locating the hinges. For my'31, the post is through bolted to the dash cross member, impossible to do with sheet metal in place, so you need to figure out an alternative connection system. I made a steel strap and bolted it to cross member and back side of post. Unfortunately I do not have much in the way of photos of my work, but will look to see if I can find some. '32 is a little different connection at top of post to rest of body, so someone else may be able to give you additional advice.

If door post and sill are rotted, there is a good chance the roof rail and side bow are also rotted as well as part of windshield header. Alas, this is one of the major drawbacks of these old girls. Took me nearly 2 years to get all the rotted wood pieces replaced in my '31 Coach, handmaking and replacing one or 2 pieces at a time. needed lots of Tnuts and machine screws as well as wood screws.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for the reply. It looks like this may be a more thorny task than I expected. The metal strap connection sounds like a good idea. If you find and are willing to share any photos, that would be greatly appreciated.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I sent you a PM.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
ok Thanks!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.