Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
a car hit my truck side right at the front tire . broke frame fender, not a scrath on rest of truck only has 35 ooo miles on it where it broke body man said best to replace whole frame wife worries it won t be right. said they do not total them when so munch they are worth.will that hurt my trade in if I do trade it in. thanks

smitty
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by chatty smitty
a car hit my truck side right at the front tire . broke frame fender, not a scrath on rest of truck only has 35 ooo miles on it where it broke body man said best to replace whole frame wife worries it won t be right. said they do not total them when so munch they are worth.will that hurt my trade in if I do trade it in. thanks

Cannot determine what you are trying to say here.

The frame on your truck was broken ?

What is the meaning of this quote, shown below in bold type ? ....... not clear to me.

"wife worries it won t be right. said they do not total them when so munch they are worth".

If another car hit your truck, hasn't the insurance adjuster inspected your truck ?

You're speaking of a body man and his opinion, but the adjuster for the insurance company, WHO IS PAYING FOR YOUR ACCIDENT, should be involved. Is he ?

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
In our state (Ia.) I believe there is a dollar amount on the damage, if over that amount the damage must be disclosed which will hurt the trade in value. Sorry, I can't remember the amount but I think it is around $3k to $5k.

Ed
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Uncle Ed
In our state (Ia.) I believe there is a dollar amount on the damage, if over that amount the damage must be disclosed which will hurt the trade in value. Sorry, I can't remember the amount but I think it is around $3k to $5k.

Good point. Rang a bell to me.

In Georgia, if damage to vehicle exceeds a certain dollar limit ( do not recall amount or percent of vehicle value), vehicle is worth less, because of damage incurred. The individual who was damaged is then entitled to additional funds, known as "diminished value".

We, in fact, went through this "diminished value" incident with a car my wife owned.

BUT, diminished value was NOT brought up to us by the insurance company.

We found out about diminished value, on our own, then brought our knowledge to the insurance company. They then paid us.

So much for an upstanding insurance company.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
sorry about mis undering. wife is wondering if truck will be like it was before wreck. never had a new frame put under a car. body man said they do that all the time because cars cost so munch now less money then totled out. last count I heard was 15 000 . before they got into it. done got new frame under it now guess I stuck with it.could not get any trade in value I think.

smitty
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by chatty smitty
sorry about mis undering. wife is wondering if truck will be like it was before wreck. never had a new frame put under a car. body man said they do that all the time because cars cost so munch now less money then totled out. last count I heard was 15 000 . before they got into it. done got new frame under it now guess I stuck with it.could not get any trade in value I think.

Smitty,

If the shop who did the frame is a "good repair shop", you should have no problem with the new frame.

Look at it this way. The work performed is "R & R" work .... meaning remove and reinstall parts, with no repairing of the frame.

It is MUCH better for you and the truck to have a NEW frame, instead of having your original frame repaired and straightened.

The new frame was the proper way to go.

No concern here, wondering if the original damaged frame was repaired and straightened correctly.

Instead, you received all new stuff! dance

I speak to you, with 35 years of experience in a Chevrolet service dept.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
A few years back Toyota had a frame rust problem and either bought back the trucks or put new frames under them depending on the value of the truck. I know they did a lot of them as the dealership had frames piled up like cordwood. If the shop doing the work is competent there should not be any problems.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Like bobg said, you are better off with the new frame. My son is an experienced body man and they do that all the time.

Ed
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I agree a new frame is the way to go, the factory will make the frame straighter than the body shop can with no disrespect to any body shop.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
A Diminished Value appraisal is completed after the damaged car has been repaired. I have done this appraisal on many pick-up trucks that had the frame replaced and the owners were happy with the repairs. However, on 4 door pick-ups when the pillar between the doors has been damaged I have never seen a perfect repair. Most vehicles I can not tell they have been repaired, but if it is a 4 door pick-up with a pillar repair I can always tell. I would not be concerned about replacing the frame. Sometimes the opposing insurance company when you ask for Diminished value will tell you they will only accept an appraisal from a "Certified Appraiser" and they know that many will give up when they can not find one. go to www.autoappraisal.com if you need to find one for your area

cordman
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by cordman
A Diminished Value appraisal is completed after the damaged car has been repaired. I have done this appraisal on many pick-up trucks that had the frame replaced and the owners were happy with the repairs. However, on 4 door pick-ups when the pillar between the doors has been damaged I have never seen a perfect repair. Most vehicles I can not tell they have been repaired, but if it is a 4 door pick-up with a pillar repair I can always tell. I would not be concerned about replacing the frame. Sometimes the opposing insurance company when you ask for Diminished value will tell you they will only accept an appraisal from a "Certified Appraiser" and they know that many will give up when they can not find one. go to www.autoappraisal.com if you need to find one for your area

Good advice. Wish I had this advice when the phrase "diminished value" came into my vocabulary. I got through it all, but not with the assistance or blessing of my insurance company.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
One must remember that the insurance company is out to protect themselves also. They typically won't do anything more than they have to. Its the same old thing these days, knowing what and how to ask. If you have a good agent they can go to bat for you and get things done but in todays world having an agent you can look eyeball to eyeball with is hard.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.