Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#327950 12/13/14 02:13 AM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
The wiper transmissions on my 48 looked really bad - pitted and most of the plating gone. I went to a local hobby shop, and, bought a bottle of Model Power chrome trim paint. I masked off and painted the two transmissions with this stuff and a artist's brush. Yeah, it's not chrome, but, they don't look half bad. I've also used this paint and a toothpick to fill in bad black pitted places on some of the other parts on my car as well. As far as chrome paint goes, this stuff looks pretty decent. I also used it to paint the reflectors in my taillights too. I think the bottle cost me about $5.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Yea sometimes we have to get creative, I've seen how much those little wiper tranny's cost, mine are pitted too, I did however give them a good buff when I buffed my fleetline trim a few yrs back... they do look better...

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Another thing I fixed with my silver paint was a rear bumper extension. The ones on my car appear to be poor quality repops. Anyway one of them had a dime sized rust hole clear through it. I killed the rust, cleaned up the hole, and filled it with epoxy putty. Then I sanded it smooth with my Dremel, and, hit it with my silver paint. Looks way better than the mess I had before.

Regards:
Oldengineer

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
This paint you speak of is brush on and not aerosol, correct?

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
If you have ever taken one of those wiper trans apart to have it plated. You may want to stick with the paint brush!

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Bob:

Yes - The stuff I bought is brush on. I'm painting it on with a artist brush.

Regards:
Oldengineer

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
poor people have poorways!!!

"Four-Doors-Forever"
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
N2Chev:

Hey, had to economize someplace. I just spent $1500 - putting new tires on our Mercedes Benz.

Regards:
Oldengineer

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Oldengineer
Bob:

Yes - The stuff I bought is brush on. I'm painting it on with a artist brush.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Like working with model cars, but on a larger scale. dance

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Bob:

Yeah - You're right. I just remembered - I also touched up a bunch of bare metal places on the woodgrain dash with the same brand of paint. I believe the color I used was labeled leather. Blended in pretty good too.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I had some really badly rusted bumpers on my 28. This is not a show car so I decided to try painting them. I cleand off most of the rust and then put a rust reformer on them. Gave the some light sanding and put on a a filling primer. Light sanded again a put on thr Rus o lem chrome spray paint. Now do the replace a good chrome bumper no, but they sure as hell look a whole lot better for less than $10. There is two kinds of paint make sure you get the chrome paint not the bright metal paint.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.