Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#317517 09/02/14 12:42 PM
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello VCCA friends. I recently decided that one Fleetline wasn't enough and I had to complicate things by dragging home a very tired, very neglected 1950 Chevy Fleetline 4 door last weekend.

I've put a few photos online in a Flickr photo album if anyone wants to see the whole thing.

But here's the story. The car was purchased by a collector in Wisconsin many years ago. A friend of his had a high school shop class 'fix' the car in the 1980's and got it running and may have even sprayed the green over the original Falcon Gray color and do a little bondo job on the rockers. Long story short, the car's cooling system was filled with straight water and the block cracked over that first winter. The owner sold the car and it was a 'project' that was taken apart and then left for another time.

Fast forward to last month when my folks, my wife, and I drove up to check the car out after a tip and within a week I struck a deal and had it lined up for its second life. Here is what it looks like and yes, it needs EVERYTHING, but I couldn't say no!

[Linked Image from farm6.staticflickr.com]

[Linked Image from farm4.staticflickr.com]

We're not sure what we're going to do with it yet, but anything is better (in my mind) than letting it sit out in the elements for another year. I have a 235 and spare bits laying around to make it live again. I also have a line on some suspension parts and a torquetube and leaf springs from a restored car that someone is hot rodding so I would be able to put it back on a rolling chassis in no time. Its also missing some trim, and a front seat but the rear seat, gauges, radio, door panels, and package shelf are still there.

I may be asking for some advice from the 49-54 experts here. I've always liked those years but we've only dabbled in 41-48's and 55-up. Those cars never came into our lives until now and I'm as eager to learn about how they were put together and what makes them tick (pun intended) and now I have the chance. Wish us luck, and thanks in advance for your knowledge and support. Cheers!

-Daryl Scott #45848
1947 Chevrolet Fleetline Sportmaster Sedan
1976 Chevrolet C20 Fleetside

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Will look better with a Fulton visor parking

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Welcome to the good section of the forum!! pineapple

I've got some rusty bits that may match the patina you've currently got going on. Let me know what your plans are...

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I have to ask why the winch on the Jeep is tugging on the u haul trailer?

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Look at the picture and he has a snatch- block on the trailer so he can winch from a 90 degree angle. 50 Fleetlines are my favorite Chevys. The lines still do something to me after 30 yrs. Enjoy your car,John

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
You came to the right place! Lot of help here.

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Thats cool. I've always liked the four door fleetlines better than the two doors for some reason.

49Chief #317622 09/03/14 10:55 AM
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments. I've been a fan of the Fleetlines too since a fellow VCCA member years ago completed a frame-off resto of a '51 Fleetline sedan and it just looked like a piece of art. I'm still in the early stages, but I hope to do this thing justice.

Brewster- I may give you a shout in the coming months as I get into this thing before winter. Thanks for your advice in advance, and for letting me snag some rusty bits :)

The Jeep and snatch block was to unload the car off the trailer. My buddy Dave brought his CJ-7 over since it has a remote control winch and my driveway is a 100 foot slope downward. I was worried we would have lost control of the '50 and blown through the garage without some assistance, so Dave's Jeep and 4x4 trail skills came in real handy. Now I want a Jeep, too!

I'll update this thread once I get back from a funeral for my wife's grandfather and have time to start cleaning things up and seeing just how bad the floor and rocker panel rust is. My hunch is that I'll be making a few calls to The Filling Station in the coming years.

-Daryl Scott #45848

johns50 #317676 09/03/14 11:15 PM
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Yes, now these "ole eyes" see the winch cable connected to the Chevy. dance

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
UPDATE: I finally made some progress on the Fleetline. Not really anything towards restoration...but I've been collecting parts and plotting my next move. My strategy is to slowly acquire some missing trim pieces for the car for as little money as I can just to have a 'complete' car to work with. I still don't know what my plans are, but for now I get to hunt VCCA classifieds, swap meets and Craigslist for bargains. It gives me something to do :)

Here's what I've got so far.

I picked up a hood emblem in really good shape for $10 at a local swap meet. One minor pit, but its clean otherwise.

Here it is installed just for effect :)

For $4 here's a set of tail lamp bezels. There's old masking tape on there but it scratches off. They should clean up okay.

[Linked Image from farm8.staticflickr.com]

Someone locally was selling a pair of hubcaps for a cool ten smackeroos. They're not great but beggers can't be chosers.

I also picked up a bag of door handles and window cranks for $20. Plenty of extras in there, too.

Lastly, I dug up an old mirror from my Pop's spare parts stash. Its not the best but its a mirror. Cost= $0

That's all for now. I'm still hunting stainless side trim pieces since those are missing, and a better set of bumpers but those are hard to find in good condition it seems. Interior is nearly complete minus the front seat and track, but I'm a long way off from needing that since I don't have much of a floor right now!

talk

More to come. She ain't gonna be ready for spring but slow & steady wins the race, right? Thanks for checking back on this thread.

Last edited by Daryl Scott; 11/11/14 12:44 AM.

-Daryl Scott #45848

ChatMaster - 3,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 3,000
Way to go! Remember, the tortoise won the race.

Enjoy the journey!

Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Should have grabbed the Fulton off the Hudson while you were on the job.

ColinGrant
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Thanks all. My wife knows that I'm doing this and she really is upset that its taking time away from our other Chevy projects. She really loves our '47 but with time she'll grow to like this one too once it looks pretty and moves under its own power.

Speaking of that, there's no way this 216 is going to come back to life. The block has a huge crack on the lower driver's side webbing near the bottom by the pan.

I can likely salvage a lot of parts from the motor but I won't know until I pull it and get into it. The valve cover is nearly perfect and it appears that someone rebuilt the carb at some point as it too is clean and moves freely. I have a lot of learning to do on these, I'm only familiar with Carter W-1 and the later Rochester 2bbl carbs.

The car still sports a Delco regulator, which hasn't typically been the case in old Chevrolets we drag home. 90% of the time they're an aftermarket Standard or Echlin. This was nice to see.

Options include an AC oil filter which should clean up with some sanding and painting. Our '48 had one of these when I was a kid and I remember helping my dad restore it with new lines and put on the decals. "Its just like a big model car" he said. That's right, Dad!

The original radiator is in good shape and isn't smashed up too badly. I haven't cleaned it out yet but if I cross my fingers it may still hold water. I'm not expecting it though since the car was parked with straight water in it, which led to the cracked block.

I do have a spare '53 passenger car 235 that allegedly runs (we've all heard that before) that I picked up with a spare trans and some other parts for $100 years ago that I'm thinking of using in this car.

[Linked Image from fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net]

Its the same style babbit low-pressure motor, correct? If I could get some life out of it with a quickie ring job and refresh I'd like to swap it in the '50 but there's also a few gotchas I'm sure. Eyeballing it I know the mounts are different. Side mounts are on the block and there's no holes in the front plate like the 216. Could I swap the plates on the 216 and 235 or are they different? Is this a lame idea? Should I hunt for a 50 216 and be done with it?

Thanks for the advice on this project. Tune in next time as I annoy my better half with more old junk and a driveway full of rust.

-Daryl Scott #45848

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Originally Posted by colingrant
Should have grabbed the Fulton off the Hudson while you were on the job.

I could probably sweet talk them into selling the visor...but the car comes with it. Need a Hudson? willy

-Daryl Scott #45848

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Here is 216 to 235 info I posted to another thread, from Patrick Dykes of Patricks Cars and Truck in AZ.

Good info there, but there is an adapter plate out there to use, instead of the custom made shorter water pump, if you need the shorter pump to make clearance at fan to radiator.

Example of adapter plate for $49.00.

https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detai...ter_Plate_For_55_Up_235_261_Engines.html

The CUSTOM shorter water pump is pricy. With the available adapter plate, a STOCK NAPA shorter water pump may be used, instead of the $130.00 custom pump. Can't find a custom pump easily, if you're on the side of the road.

Click and scroll down, rather lengthy, but good info.

http://www.patricksantiquecars.com/articles.html

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I have a complete front seat if your ever through New Mexico. From a 51 fleetline?

"Frame Off" restoration, its a journey not a destination
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I have a 216 and manual trans as well.

"Frame Off" restoration, its a journey not a destination
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Originally Posted by bobg1951chevy
Good info there, but there is an adapter plate out there to use, instead of the custom made shorter water pump, if you need the shorter pump to make clearance at fan to radiator.

Bob- thank you for the links and info on this. I'm not as familiar with the later 55-up full pressure 235 motors. Does the '53 that I have also fit into this category with the water pump clearance problem?

-Daryl Scott #45848

dads51 #324206 11/12/14 11:07 AM
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Originally Posted by dads51
I have a complete front seat if your ever through New Mexico. From a 51 fleetline?

I'd love a Route 66 southwest road trip. We'll have to stay in touch!

-Daryl Scott #45848

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Daryl,

According to G&D rag, if you have a 53 235 with stick behind it, it will be the babbit lower end. In 53 with P/G behind it, that will be the full pressure eng. In 54 and after, all 6 cyl engines were full pressure, either stick or P/G.

As to the swap instead of the 216, don't know what would be required to drop in in your 50. Perhaps Gene or someone else can help you on that.

Jim.

31's are the ones to run.

jdv123 #324271 11/12/14 10:27 PM
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Originally Posted by jdv123
According to G&D rag, if you have a 53 235 with stick behind it, it will be the babbit lower end. In 53 with P/G behind it, that will be the full pressure eng. In 54 and after, all 6 cyl engines were full pressure, either stick or P/G.

Thanks Jim. The block numbers on this one are LAAI041175, which I think is a 53 low-pressure 235 for a 3 speed passenger car.

-Daryl Scott #45848

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Daryl Scott
Originally Posted by bobg1951chevy

Bob- thank you for the links and info on this. I'm not as familiar with the later 55-up full pressure 235 motors. Does the '53 that I have also fit into this category with the water pump clearance problem?

I believe the change from the very small water passage openings to the water pump to the large water passage opening to the water pump changed in 1955. When that change occurred, the pump became LONGER.

Since you have both engines on-hand, measure from the block on each water pump to the front of the water pump pulley.

I believe the correct measurement should be 4".

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Excellent, she's a dipper. I'm okay with that. I will probably throw it on a stand this coming summer and see if she'll run. Thanks for the link Bob.

-Daryl Scott #45848

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
You're welcome. dance

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.