Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Hi All,

I just recently nabbed a very derelict '50 Fleetline sedan with a very cracked 216. The motor has an 8-10 inch horizontal crack in the lower driver's side lip of the block above the oil pan. Trust me, that's the least of this car's problems. bigl

My question is, what's salvageable internally? I plan on pulling the head, manifolds, pan, accessories, etc. Should I keep the rotating assembly as well? I'm not a machinist as you can tell, but I would think it may be worth keeping the crank, rods and maybe pistons. What do you folks think?

Thanks!

Here's a shot of the engine bay, I'll try to get a good shot of the crack soon. You guys will get a kick out of it. :)

[Linked Image from farm6.staticflickr.com]

Last edited by Daryl Scott; 09/01/14 01:07 AM.

-Daryl Scott #45848
1947 Chevrolet Fleetline Sportmaster Sedan
1976 Chevrolet C20 Fleetside

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

I suggest you keep major components as they are when removed from the car. If you disassemble the major components such as you are considering on the engine, it will not be long until the items are scattered and you don't know where they are. Also takes more room to store.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I agree with Ray, if you pull the engine leave it together until you need to dismantle. It is much easier to store and move as a assembly rather than a hundred parts and less likely to get misplaced which is a common problem.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Good call, guys. I appreciate the advice. parking

-Daryl Scott #45848

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Daryl,

I love to take apart things to see their internal condition. Occasionally, I sell parts. Just sold a set of salvaged push rods and an intake manifold. I have also sold crankshaft caps, oil lines, exhaust manifolds, carburetors, clutch disks, pressure plates, heads, and when I did my rebuild it took me 3 blocks, 3 heads, 2 cranks, 2 oil pans, two crankshaft caps, and a set of used pushrods. If I think it is usable, and I have the room, I keep it. The last engine I parted out really bothered me because I think the crack in the block was from last winter. It is the first engine I have ever taken apart that looked in perfect condition.

Have fun, Mike

P.S. Chevs of the 40's buys good used parts (front shocks, brake shoes, pressure plate and clutch disks, carburetors).

salvaging a 1952 216

Last edited by Mike Buller; 09/01/14 04:58 PM.

Mike 41 Chevy
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Mike,

Keeping the engine intact has its merits just as has been suggested.

However, if you intend to sell the usable parts then dismantling is the answer, I suppose. What parts not sold will find a corner to hide in. Remember, clutter will increase to the capacity to hold it. Agrin

Because 216s are so tough, one can clean up the parts, adjust clearances, grind the valves, install new rings, etc and run it another 30-40 thousand miles or so. dance

Charlie computer

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Mike & Charlie, thank you for your advice & the link to the '52 post that's very similar.

My thoughts initially were to pull the 'good' parts and then haul the junk block to the local scrap heap and give my wife some cash to offset her anger at me purchasing another rusty Chevy. talk

I have a good used '53 235 that I may give some CPR to and drop it in the '50 just to get it running, and keep the 216 parts. But as mentioned, that can start to make things cluttered in my small garage. I'll give things a read and think it through before I do anything irrational. The last thing I'd want to do is create another box of nuts & bolts and trip over them / lose things / forget where they are.

Thanks you guys again for the real-world advice.

-Daryl Scott #45848

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.