Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#312245 07/06/14 02:45 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Greetings from deepest Somerset UK.
I have recently purchased a really nice 23 Superior, assembled at Hendon aerodrome, so a right hand drive.
Its a great car, but hits a wall at 45 MPH, which is a shame with so much torque, as I would like to munch miles at 60 MPH if possible.
I have read that fitting a later head (28?), or an Olds head makes a big difference.
Any advice fro you guys over there that really know these machines would be appreciated.
Is there anyone in the UK that has spares for vintage Chevrolets?
Best regards
Steve

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

23Chevvy #312251 07/06/14 04:29 PM
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

Hi Steve,

I can understand your desire for speed, but the best way to achieve 55-65 MPH is to purchase a newer car, such as a 6-cylinder. The 1923 just is not cut out to travel at such dangerous speeds. Consider that the 1923 only has back brakes and with high pressure tires you have marginal contact with the ground. I strongly urge you not to exceed 40 MPG or less for safety. I would not consider any changes for the 23 except as originally designed.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Steve
When I was a young man during the 60's and 70's I always had Chevy's. I even had a 66 GTO with a 427 (out of a vette) Holley 1050 cfm 3 barrel sitting on a high rise stuffed under the hood gas tank filled with Sunoco 260. I eventually ripped out the upper control arms on the rear end doing hole shots in front of the local drive inn. Took the engine out, sent the body to the scrap yard and put it in my 36 Chevy half ton which I still have to this day. Always liked the big blocks. Was always going fast.
Now I go slow. You have to be a brave man to drive a 4 cyl pre 28 Chevy past 50. I stay under 35 myself. My wife don't like the slow cars she likes my 53 which goes faster.
Antique is right as usual, be careful.
Ken

You got any pictures? Also Welcome !!

Last edited by Ken_Naber; 07/06/14 05:51 PM.

I have a 1927 Chevy Capital AA 4 Door also a 1927 Chevy Touring car, a 1936 Chevy 1/2 ton and a 2010 Corvette LT3 Convertible and a 1953 Packard Caribbean. My tow car is a 2011 Suburban.
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for the wisdom guys- I will probably heed your adviceā€¦
There's a fine line between being a danger to other road users at 35, and being OK at 45/50 on UK 'A' roads. More to do with other road users being intolerant, or not quite believing that anything can be so slow and have such poor brakes-rather than this vintage driver wanting to go too fast for the car. Sounds like 60 is asking for trouble.
Any thoughts from anyone about spares in the UK

Thanks

Steve

23Chevvy #312309 07/07/14 09:04 AM
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Steve
I have both a 1927 and 1928 engine, they seem similar in performance. How about some pictures. Many part sources found here at this site. Stick with what you have and enjoy the ride.
Ken

I have a 1927 Chevy Capital AA 4 Door also a 1927 Chevy Touring car, a 1936 Chevy 1/2 ton and a 2010 Corvette LT3 Convertible and a 1953 Packard Caribbean. My tow car is a 2011 Suburban.
23Chevvy #312310 07/07/14 09:08 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Agree, forget those sort of speeds in a '23 Chev..
I have a '25 which is a vastly improved car and it buzzes along easily at 40-45mph. But things are happening quick for its brakes and steering if you have to react. So even in it I would be very unsettled at higher speeds. Don't forget that those external band rear wheel brakes (yours even smaller than mine)are practically inoperative once wet, and I think reputation would have it that in England rain is a likely event.
Engines in the early cars are more fragile too and zealous speed a certain enemy. Treat it like the lady it is and chug along at the sedate speeds it was built for, remembering that in its day mobility was the prize of owning a car, not speed. The industry's problem was not making them faster, but making enough.
Blocking traffic is indeed an issue but pulling over to let them rush on with false urgency is easy enough.(maybe not on narrow B roads). In heavy traffic indeed a problem, least of all stopping quick enough.
Here the reverse is the problem, clear roads easy to find, but then others when they do come along fly up behind at 100kmph (60mph) and one is in constant fear of being rammed. My brother lost his Morris Minor that way on a country main road and was rammed from behind. Poor asthmatic thing was flat as a biscuit at nearly 30mph, up a long slow rise and whammo from behind at double the speed. Luckily all escaped unhurt.
USA guys will comment but the The Filling Station and Gary Wallace seem to have the best range of parts (all on-line),many of which are sourced here in Australia. But Chevs are not like the T's with practically anything available. We tell ourselves that it is because Chevs do not need them!
If it is any consolation T's are even slower than Chevs and from my experiences here, where we also have a lot of English cars, your Chev should eat anything coming out of Austin or Morris at the same time, nice as they were. But damn, they nearly all had internal four wheel brakes!
Hope you have a lot of fun with your car. Not many around of that year so particularly in the UK you have something special.
Geoff.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hello Somerset. Some of my ancestors left there in the 1850's. Anyway we have travelled a lot in the UK and know your area well. We have several old cars including a 28 Chev so we understand your situation. My wife said "Sell the car and buy a traction engine and go to the Dorset Steam Festival" but I don't think that is what you want. Basically you have been given great advice on speed. Sure you can get up to 60MPH and there comes a great silence as everything spins into suspension BUT what about stopping? 40 MPH is fine but try to be visible and safe. I prefer motorways/expressways because the surface is good, there are few steep hills, there are multiple lanes and breakdown lanes and people can see for miles. Run with your headlights on and if you like then add a flashing LED light on the back. Look at the Amish in the USA with their buggies with the big red triangles on the back. Sure it's not original but then again nor is demolished bodywork. Your lesser roads are a worry, particularly those where the mirrors are skipping the hedgerow on either side and a Scania appears but that's all part of the deal. We can pull over readily here but that is not your situation. Ultimately if it's too much of a worry then you don't drive the car. After 24 years my wife stepped out of the 28 and said "no more", fortunately she loves our Triumph TR3A.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
ok I'll play devils advocate. While admittedly brakes are your main limiting factor you can certainly increase your top end speed for highway cruising. I would look at an overdrive. Many Model T & A chaps fit overdrives if you dont mind modifying the torque tube/ drive shaft. Period overdrives like warfords or for chevs try a Johnson if you can find one, will give you another 10 miles an hour easily. Or as you are in the motherland you can probably find a more modern overdrive unit out of an old triumph 2500 or similar. As far as improving the motor goes you are right re head change. ditch the 23 head and stick a 28 head on it - 3 port olds are hens teeth. Also Ditch the carter carb and Stick a good old english 1.5 SU carb on it although didnt the English chevs come fitted with a zenith?
Good luck!

23Chevvy #312489 07/09/14 03:49 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
23chevvy
HI, I think I have your answere, go find a long hill and get you '23 up to your 60MPH and if you feel safe and the top is still on the car then fine, if not you need to buy a Corvette.

Brian

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.