Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
oldcarz Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I took this motor apart to paint the outer shells. In the process,the armature came out and now I cannot get it back in place. Any tips on how to re-install the armature and get the brushes back on the commutator? Thanks.

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

Get three assistants, one to hold each spring loaded brush holder back while you insert the armature. Declare success, open a brown bottle.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

oldcarz Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
That is what I thought but it is really tight quarters and you would have to use something long, thin, and strong to hold back those brushes. To say nothing about my assistants and myself getting in each others way. Will give it a go and see what happens. Thanks for the response.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Frank, I've done small motors like that by using very thin string like dental floss to hold the brushes back while inserting the armature. Just compress the springs and tie the string off, assemble the motor, then cut the strings and pull them out. I don't have a heater motor to look at, but that might work on yours.

All the Best, Chip

"It's wise to choose a SIX"
oldcarz Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Chip, The dental floss was the answer but still no picnic. I spent about six hours playing with brushes and springs getting everything in place to tie them off. Then had a difficulty securing the brushes in the retracted position. There was no good place to hold the brush with the floss. Compound all this with no room for a tool or even your fingers and it tends to turn the air blue with foul language. I also had to worry about getting the floss too secure because I would not be able to remove it when the armature was in place. I am sure you know about all this from your own experience. I finally was able to assemble the motor and remove the floss. This morning I tested the motor and it works! Thank the good Lord. Thanks again for your suggestion. I hope I never have to do this again.
Frank

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I'm glad it's done and that it worked out OK. It is tedious stuff. Just think, though: You'll have plenty of heat when you're out driving around this weekend. It will be 92 degrees here, so I'm thinking about the heater, too.

All the Best, Chip

"It's wise to choose a SIX"
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Nice how more modern brush's such as alternator's have a small hole you can use a paper clip to holed them back while installing them...Will have to remember the "floss" method...

1947 Fleetmaster Sport Coupe VCCA # 47475

If it's not wearing a Bowtie...It's not properly dressed...!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.