Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
I am restoreing a 47 fleetmaster,And am using nothing but NOS parts to do it. But I seem to have aquired a strange affliction known as "Accessory itis" I cant stop myself...
I have over 20 of them now! And theres still at least 15 more I want to get!!! I just recieved the winter tire track units in the mail last week.

But my god, have you seen what people are charging for some of these!!! I talked to a guy just yesterday, he has the Umbrella holder, and the Orig umbrella. $500.00 for the holder, and $300.00 for the umbrella!!!! I saw an ad for the car & home razor $1500.00!!! WOW.............

My question is this, Does it really pay to get all these things? Do people really pay these prices for these items? Why are we so addicted to these little goodies that only cost $3.00 60yrs ago? Am I alone in this affliction?

Opinions welcome!!!!!!!! fleetmas47

"Heaven is Driving my 47"
With that "GOOD GULF" gasoline.
http://www.gulfhistory.org/?
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Yes, accessory items are very expensive for all years of Chevrolets. The main reason is that most of them are so hard to come by these days, and some of the accessories were rare when they were new. You mentioned the umbrella holder that a fellow has for $500 and the original umbrella for $300. Well...he needs to get educated because the rare thing here is the umbrella, not the holder! The holders are not all that hard to come by and I have seen them for sale for $100 or less. Now, on that umbrella, that's another story. If he does in fact have an original umbrella then he has a real treasure..and an extremely rare treasure at that. A friend of mine, about 5 years ago, purchased a new old stock umbrella (for his 1941) in the original Chevrolet box with the correct part number and etc. for $5,000! That's right! And, he was happy to get it at that price! Well, there is probably no way that you and I would ever think of paying that for an accessory but some dedicted Chevy dudes will. You are right, accessories are very expensive and a lot of fellows can't afford to pay the price. I have seen some prices of accessories that have scared me to death, like that umbrella for example! Wow!! :eek: :eek: :eek: laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Sounds good to me! There is also an accessory called "Spare Air". Maybe I should install that in my trunk so I will be able to inflate my Elvira blow up doll when I need her for a picnic or something......... :confused: :eek: laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
FM 47,
Yes, you have a serious addiction. The only way to cure yourself is to get rid of all of your accessories. Being the kind person that I am, you can send them to me and I will dispose of them for you. laugh

I've got the same problem. I spend more time finding and buying accessories than I do on my truck restoration laugh . Besides the official Chevy accessories, you'll find, as I did, that there are all kinds of third party accessories available. I just bought a "Blink-O-Light" which is designed for mounting in the trunk of cars. And I have a TRUCK!!??

Jeff Nelson
1953 3604
VCCA # 37113
Paducah, KY
http://www.chevytrucks.org/jeff
"Kentucky, home of beautiful horses and fast women (or was it the other way around?)"
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Hum....."Fix A Flat" huh? I wonder if that will work on my Elvira blow up doll? However, there are two places on her that are definitely not flat!! I hope that your wife enjoys the Camel patches. You are so kind......! :confused: :eek: laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Some accessories are more interesting and more authentic if they are off the car.

If you have old Chevrolets, other old Chevrolets will find out where you live.
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
bigl bigl Try to keep things "original/stock" I always say! The other stuff is fun to see, BUT....... bigl bigl

V.C.C.A. - (National) - (S.O.C.R. #7) - M.C.A.A.C. (NOT V.C.C.A. - "local").... http://www.mcaac.mb.ca * * * Chevys are G R E A T * * *.
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Holy #$@# JYD. $5000.00 for the umbrella!!!!!
You could buy a whole car for that :eek:

I thought I was crazy for spending $300 for the magnetic service lamp NOS. :confused:

But I can understand his addiction bigl

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Yep, I know! That was the most expensive Chevrolet accessory that I have seen yet, and I have looked at a lot of accessories in the late 1930's to the late 1940's that sold for way over $1,000 each. And then.....there is the original literature pieces that sell for big bucks too...but we won't go there because your heart might not take the shock!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: laugh laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
JYD, how much of a $hock would I be in for if I wanted a 1931 Jam Handy filmstrip?

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I have the original sales lit bug, I gave up booze 8 years ago and that was easier to give up than buying all this wierd rare sales lit. That never ends at least with the accy's there is a definate number and you know exactly what you are looking for, with the sales stuff every time I think i found the last piece another one turns up that I have to have. I do agree that sometimes the accy's are neat if they stay in the box, but........ One thing whatever you pay for the accy's you will always get it back and then some!!!!
John 348 chevy

John

1954 Belair Sport Coupe
1960 2 door Impala Hardtop 348/340HP 4spd
1962 2 door Impala Hardtop 409/409 4spd
1962 2 Door Biscayne Sedan 327/250 Auto
1977 Monza Mirage 305 4 Speed
1988 Celebrity Wagon
2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Diesel
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
JYD,Oh no, Please I dont EVEN want to get into the litrature part of it :rolleyes: Im finding myself slip into the cans of waxes, and stop leak, and things like that now

Im even in the process now of trying to make one of the original display stands I saw a picture of in the chevy archive book :(

Is there ANY hope for me???

fleetmas47

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
d2d2: 1931 Chevrolet filmstrips range in price from around $10 to $35 each, and it all depends upon their content, and condition. Most filmstrips of that period can be picked up on an average of $15 to $20 a piece....and some of them are pretty boring, while others, like the 1931 accessory film, are really cool and contain a lot of information. :eek:

Hum....ya on most accessories you can definitely sell them for a profit...but making a profit on a $5,000 umbrella is gonna be hard to do. :(

Fleetmas47: Yep....your goose is cooked and there is absolutely no hope for you. None for the rest of us either for that matter! Glad that you joined the club!!! laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
The 1931 filmstrip I want has a graph showing how 6 power strokes were smoother than 4. It also had a picture of Chevrolet's pedal closures. How many '31s have you seen with their pedal closures still intact?

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I think that I have that film in my collection since it sounds familiar. I have almost all of the 1931 Sales, Service and Promotional films. laugh

I would say that around 50 per cent of the 1930-32's that I have seen still had the pedal closures on them. All of my cars did when I bought them. :eek: laugh :eek:

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
What about putting all that on a CD along with the collected wisdom of the JYD?

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Count me in on the first CD of 31'filmstrips!! I love looking for the detailed stuff. laugh :love: :love: talk

John Lanning
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Well....okay! But.....I don't think that they make enough CD's to contain all of that wisdom from an old mutt! ha ha! :confused: :confused: laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
devil devil Yep....sharp guy there! chevy chevy For sure. bigl bigl

V.C.C.A. - (National) - (S.O.C.R. #7) - M.C.A.A.C. (NOT V.C.C.A. - "local").... http://www.mcaac.mb.ca * * * Chevys are G R E A T * * *.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.