Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#298266 01/09/14 07:53 PM
39sport Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
INstalled a new power brake from DanChuck. WOW, is it sensitive…..too sensitive compared to other cars. How about a pressure reducer in the vacuum line? Any body doing that or any ideas where to find an appropriate reducer that would work?
Thanks, Ron...39 Sport

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
What does Danchuk suggest? They should know more about the parts they sell than any of us.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The factory power brakes on my 1957 are very sensitive also. Especially at parking lot speeds.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
There are two things which will cause brake sensitivity.

1 - the master cylinder bore is incorrect in diameter
2 - the brake linings are damp or of poor quality

With the advent of asbestos removal, and now copper, in brake linings, they have become more sensitive to moisture.

I would contact Danchuk to discuss the master cylinder (maybe the one you received was mispackaged) If it is correct, I would take the car for a spin and get the shoes nice and hot (to burn off the moisture) and then verify if the low speed sensitivity was still present.

Oliver J. Giorgi
Technical Advisor
1958 Passenger Car
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Can anyone advise the correct finish for the 57 Hydrovac booster cylinder shell?

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Check Classic Cars magazine.Witin the last 3-5 months, there was a letter on a 57 Chevy having the left front brake dragging.... Seems that there were two clevis pin holes on the top of the 57 (possibly 55,56 and 58) brake pedal pendant to connect the rod from the top of pedal pendant to standard master cylinder, or the other hole to change the travel of the pendant rod to accomodate a Tredal Vac power brake unit...... no mentiuon was made as to which hole to put clevis pin in to change rod's length of travel, top hole or bottom hole.....some of the brake pedal pendant had the two holes.....BUT both standard shiftbrake pendants, and automatic brake pendants, may...or may not have the second hole....power brake pedal pendant on an automatic car had a wider pedal, than the smaller pedal at the bottom of the pendant of a standard shift car !!!!!! joeyk3950 Could affect the "grabiness" of your brakes

Joseph Patrick James Kearney
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
The booster is grayish steel color...Got ANY literature ANY besides Shop Manual or Assembly manual???? Sales literature mention??? Jim handy film strip and accompanying pamphlet? Anyhing listing bolts,check valve part,tee,clamp part numbers and size,lock washer and bolts for bracket???? I've got a dual four 283 3 speed...... joeyk3950

Joseph Patrick James Kearney
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
I have only the two manuals you mentioned. The cylinder shell is flat gray but I don't know what the finish is made of. Almost looks like gray primer.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Only one hole in the brake pedal for both manual and power brakes. If you have 2 holes a previous owner drilled the second one, not GM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.