Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
lonebus Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I have a 1946 chevy coe bus. 1 of 139 made (said to be the last one). Looking for any info out there including pictures. It was made in Norwood Ohio late in 1946. No one knows who made the bus body. Even GM Heritage had no idea they made such a bus - though they know they did make less then a handful of bus bodies in 1946. I now have its own page at F/b. ANY help out there on this?

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Great you're joining us here on Chat! To further help your search, if you look further down the Forum list you will see a forum for Commercial and COE Trucks. Placing your inquiry there will put more "eyes" on it.

lonebus Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks! Don't see myself staying here much longer. The site is a little to hard for me to get around in as to figuring it out. I can't spend 15 days every day/ever minute here to figure it out either. Had a heck of a time to even join. No contacts for support that I found to get in, it just chased one to other pages with more reading than I wanted to deal with. Makes it harder than it should or have to be.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Chevrolet made school bus chassis but not the bodies. The bodies were installed by a company that specialized in bus bodies. The 1942 truck sales data book shows a COE could be purchased with hood, front fenders, grille, bumper firewall and windshield lower posts. I would assume a body company could have adapted a bus body to mount on the frame. It has a 158 1/2" wheel base.
Was also available with a complete cab for any type of truck body.

Gene Schneider
lonebus Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
The info I got came straight from GM Heritage Center. They said they made less than a handful of "Bodies" in 1946. This bus was not made to be a school bus. It was more for over the road type. Just saying. GM Heritage contacted a retired man who said this about the bus bodies. I not only sent pictures of it to them but spent over an hour on the phone with them too. This info I have so far is correct. I've spent 12 years looking reading about this horse of a bus. Contacted everyone I know and museums. When I came upon this site I thought I'd give it a shot. I don't make claims - what I know is what I know.

lonebus Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
1946 there were 3 different wheelbases - Short 160" - medium Mine 174" - long 196". This is just for the front clip including the windshield - no roof. Bare chassis from there on. Just so you have the numbers for 1946. 139 total were made. 2 short wheelbases - 35 medium wheelbases (mine) - 102 long wheelbases. This is 1946 numbers.

lonebus Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
If anyone is on Facebook here is my link

https://www.facebook.com/1946RarebusCOE#

If anyone wants to see what is going on with it.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.