Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
wondering what kind of luck with the pumps from C`s of the 40`s ...Obsolete Ch. ...Filling St. etc. or get mine rebuilt by an independent?? What do You recommend.....Thanks

David Martin-Hendersonville NC, Pine Island Fl....... 1940 Chevy SDSS,
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I have not had good experience with Chevs of the 40's rebuilt water pumps, and the same with NAPA rebuilt pumps. I would purchase only a new pump. They are advertised on ebay and were available at NAPA when I bought mine. The machining is just much better on the new pumps. The three rebuilt ones I have used leaked after just a little use. They didn't even spin smoothly. You will probably pay around $50 more for a new one but it is too much work to risk the poor performance of purchasing a rebuilt one. My new Napa pump is suppose to have a life time warranty!!! Good luck, Mike

P.S. The last NAPA rebuilt water pump I got had a casing that was very pitted from corrosion. I had a couple pumps on hand and I gave them to them for cores. They looked better than the rebuilt one they wanted to sell me as a good rebuild!!!Of course they guaranteed the rebuild but who wants to spend the time replacing rebuilt pumps until you get one that doesn't leak in a year?

Mike 41 Chevy
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I agree with the new pump. That is if NAPA or some other parts house sells a new pump for a 1940....1941 is very different. The 1940 pump fit a 1939 also.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
question , with a press could a person rebuild his own pump ? frank

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Frank, Yes with a press you could rebuild your own pump. Rebuild kits are on ebay all the time, they are suppose to be NOS. If you have followed freezerburn's posts on rebuilding an oil pump (see 1946-48 chat site). These NOS rebuild parts can still be a problem. I would still base my decision on the potential reliability of a new part over a rebuilt one.

Ebay and Chevs of the 40's are selling rebuilt pumps for $150.00. NOS rebuild kits are selling for $15 to $32. Maybe, there is not a supplier anymore for new pumps and you must rebuild your own or buy a rebuilt one? Good luck, Mike

Mike 41 Chevy
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Just called NAPA ..no new pumps available for the 1940....anyone else have any ideas on where to find a new water pump? I called all the other parts stores locally and nothing. I think I did see a NOS pump on ebay , but wouldn't that be problematic with seals drying out etc.? Also , when and if I get the re-man pump, do I remove the pully from my old pump , or do they come with a pully?

David Martin-Hendersonville NC, Pine Island Fl....... 1940 Chevy SDSS,
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
my concern with a NOS would be the age of the seal . a new freshly made seal might b best . frank

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I replaced the water pump on my '40 a few years back. It was a NORS pump and it came with the pulley. I did get a new mounting gasket and new gasket for the plate on the back of the water pump.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.