Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#285886 08/07/13 11:56 AM
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Warning this contains a lot of BS and blah-blah. It's just for fun and to try and stir something up. You know. Open at your own risk. Agrin talk

Seems that Trailer Queen's (TQ) and their owners get a bad rap sometimes. I, for one, wish I had a car that would qualify for TQ queen status. I'm working on one but I may never get it completed. I only hope I do.

I know there is a lot to be said for a driver, as well. Trouble is, that if you drive a vintage Chevrolet you can throw the show status out the window after a few miles if its going to compete with a TQ. Well, almost. Here's why:

a. It is impossible to keep a vintage 207, 216, etc clean. The seals will seep and leak and allow oil to spread everywhere it can get to.

b. Oil mixed with dirt looks bad.

c. The exhaust manifold will discolor and look bad.

d. You have to continually wash and wax the paint to even get it in close competition with the TQ.

e. You get chips in the paint from rocks and by following dump trucks. Cracks in the windshield too.

f. Other wear and tear, such as the running boards and carpet and mats. And , discoloration by the sun.

TQs on the other hand cam be hand and pushed into a nice trailer. Hand pushing will allow you to have it sport a GM or Chevrolet battery. No wear and tear. No sun bearing down. Always top notch condition for the show. Trophies galore. Smiles from the crown. Praise from other TQ owners. Lots of envy from the Driver class who scoff and say they wouldn't have no car they couldn't drive. Sour grapes?

The thing is, we must appreciate the TQs for what they are. And, appreciate that the owners of them have the wherewithal to afford one. While we get the fun out of driving our cars the ultimate pleasure may lie in have one (or many) of both. There can be fun in showing a nice high point car as well. Winning in your category and maybe Best of Show can bring a lot of pleasure to the owner. Wouldn't we all like to have that recognition?

Point is there is no reason to bad-mouth a TQ.

If I get the 41 project car to the condition I want it, it is going to be a TQ. I ain't even going to put oil in it. If I'm asked if it runs or not, I just say it did the last time I tried it. I'll explain that the GM or Chevrolet battery is dead as a door nail. Which likely will be a true statement.

I'll keep driving the 41 coupe. I'll have too much money in the project car to chance getting the engine dirty or scratching it up. So TQ I intend it to be.

What do you all think about this TQ vs Driver issue?

Charlie computer

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Charlie, IMHO, you covered the subject rather well. You may or may not get a lot of response since there exists some jealously between owners of TQ's and high-point cars that get driven occasionally. Both must be separated from cars that are driven frequently, for reasons you clearly stated.

I really enjoy TQ's and high-point cars. They show us how a properly restored car should be. I have even owned a couple of high-point cars but then, I drive my ol' cars a lot so they suffer from use.

I enjoy a good car show (although it is usually too hot). I don't enjoy the judging competition, although I'm really glad others do. Too much hassle for me, personally. Regardless of what I may put in a show, I always put a "Do Not Judge" sign in the windshield. (The only trophy I ever got was in spite of the sign.) I just never could figure out how to eat or snuggle up to a trophy. So, they're not worth the effort for me.

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy most folks relish the competition and work so hard for those nice trophies. They even make your car more valuable. Mayby I'm just lazy. I much prefer to park, hang my little sign, go off to enjoy the show and to visit with the wonderful people.

So, Charlie, the TQ's and high-point cars make the shows all the more enjoyable and keep the atmosphere competitive while giving others something to strive to atain with their car/s.
So, keep 'em coming for all to see and covet. You'll get your '41 to that point one day soon - and you deserve it to be so!

To each his own - - -

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Charlie... 2011 Best of the Best Winner, 1st Junior at 2011 Central Meet, 2nd Place '53/'54 at Flint 2011, First Senior and Preservation in 2012, and Preservation this year in Port Huron. Driven from Medina Ohio to Port Huron this year (370 km one way), Ohio to London Ontario Canada for the Six Cylinder tour last year (470km one way+150ish touring) and still one of the prettiest cars on the show field. It's all about the amount of work and pride you take in the job...

[Linked Image from i150.photobucket.com]

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Charlie trailers are for "black cars" maybe I should buy one??

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Great Subject...

I debated this issue when I acquired my 1929. And I made the Executive Decision, mainly because I can, that I was going to do a Driver Restoration. As I plan to drive mine whenever I can, mainly a Sunday Driver, out to the local Burger Joint, or aroudn town on a cruise, and of Course with the local Antique Club here. I want to completely enjoy my Chevrolet. I want to drive it and it to lok good, and yes I know it is 84 Years Old, and I am proud of it !! It looks great for it's Age :)

and like Brewster stated above, It takes work to keep it looking good, not counting the work it takes to keep it running. I look at it like this, it is something to do to keep me out of trouble, and to get me out of the house.

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I belong to VMCCA as well as VCCA and AACA. I trailered our 31 to Colorado for a VMCCA Western National Tour. Toured the Coupe four days in the Rocky Mountains before the Show and Judging. I received the Gold Award of Excellence and the High Point Car of the Show. It can be done.

I might add that in VMCCA if you receive the Gold Award of Excellence you are finished with Judging. They are The Touring Club

Last edited by Back Roads; 08/07/13 04:32 PM.

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
My car is not a high point car by comparison to many and I trailer it to distant events for three main reasons.

1: I don't want to run it into the ground by putting a ton of miles on it in a short time. I do drive it locally a lot.

2: People weren't my size in 1938. If I did drive it a long distance I'd have to stop every 30 minutes to work the kinks out.

3: Most importantly if something does happen to break I can't just walk in to a local parts store and depend on them having the part(s) I need on hand. Being hundreds of miles from home with a broken car and no way to fix it is not a good time IMHO. Add several extra days in a hotel at $100 per night waiting for parts to arrive is not an option.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
There's definitely a difference between trailering your car to an event, and owning a trailer queen. The ones that push the car on and off the trailer for the show day are the ones missing out on the fun as far as I can see. I have seen beautiful cars that were trailered to meets driven on the tours the next day. That's having the best of both worlds. If I owned the rig to tow mine to the far away meets, I would. It is a lot of work driving the highways today in a 6 cylinder Chevy!

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
I agree up to a point. The trouble is, where do we draw the line between TQ and Driven (or Driver) status.

Besides and just a thought, what's to keep a owner from trailering a car to a place near an event or show, unloading it and then driving a short distance to the show. Still in concurs/pristine condition and very limited exposure to road hazards or the elements? Who knows that the car wasn't driven all the way? Who cares?

Is a car trailered on an open trailer a TQ? Or is it a OTQ?

Is a car trailered on a tow dolly a TQ? Or is it a Dolly Queen?

Depends on the condition of the car and the depth of the pocketbook, I suppose. Still, I must take my hat off to the driver who travels many miles (not just a short hop) to enter a show. But at the same time I can understand someone with a 1000 point car hauling it in a nicely equipped, checker board floored, coffee bar and refregerator for cold beer, completely enclosed and relatively expensive Tommy or Featherlite. Money to some is just a detail. Is too! Agrin

When it comes to a highly competitive car, the old adage of you can have it and drive it too becomes meaningful. A show car just completed and driven from show to show will become non-competitive at relatively large shows pretty quickly, I imagine. One has to protect the investment. Or have deep pockets to keep it up to high standards.

I think one has a tough choice to make as to whether to treat their car as a driver or TQ. Not an easy choice either. dance stressed

The other thing I don't understand is, unless your car is parked among cars in its catagory at the show, why put a sign in the window saying, "Do not judge"? Respectively, not only has Gaither said this but I've seen many others say the same thing. I merely don't understand why that would be necessary. Seems that if the car ain't in the right place it ain't a-gonna be judged anyway. Help me out here. (I'm not trying to single you out, Gaither) Agrin beermugs

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Good discussion.

I trailer my '28 AB Canopy Express to any shows that are over 20 miles away. Just being practical. Open trailer (I enjoy the 'thumbs up' from other drivers).

I usually check the little box on the application that says 'do not judge'.

I like competing in the 'People's Choice' award or other such good-humored categories. I know I cannot complete in a VCCA sanctioned judging affair. But, that's okay.

I appreciate and respect the work that goes into a high-point judged car. Each to their own. Every vehicle adds to the greatness and fun of a show.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
A great topic.
Down here in Australia we don't have the enthusiasm for judging that you blokes do. Although at our Chev club's recent 45th Anniversay event we had judging, it was for all Chevs that entered. I was very lucky to win 1st place in the Chev 4 section with my 28CSC. It's a very nice car and very authentic, but was restored (professionaly) 32 years ago and is showing its age.

Re TQ's, we've had some critsism down here as well. I've driven my 34 M nearly 100,000 miles with the longest single run being just under 5,000 miles and will drive to next big rally in Queensland next year, a return trip of about 2,500 miles.

BUT I trailer my 28 these days (not covered) for a number of reasons.
1. many years ago I was classed as a paraplegic and was fortunate enough to get back on my feet, but sometimes struggle a bit.

2. Chev 4's in Aus. have the accelorator between the brake and clutch pedal, because of the RHD conversion, and as I've had a hip and knee relacement I struggle to reach it, I can drive for an hour, but its hard work. I've also had to lower both clutch and brake pedals to enable my bad leg to reach them safely.

3.We do quite a few long rallies, usually twice a year, and our highways are mainly one lane each way, with sometimes 60 miles between towns, we mix with caravans and big semi trailers. I sit on 45/50 mph, the rest of traffic does 60+. Can you imagine driving all day with one eye in the rearview mirror.

So I drive one and trailer one. I've had a bit of critisism for trailering but as one of my favourite phrases is "there's only one person in the world you need to please"
Chris

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
At the Central Meet this year there were only 47 vehicles in class judging of the 80 vehicles registered.

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I'm a firm believer that our club could do more in the drivers class as far as judging goes to improve that stat, Jim. There are not many people that want to do what I did, and drive a non show car to a judged meet and get it judged. If the drivers class had more technical judging, and was a better assistance to the restorer, I would have had it judged there. As it was, I talked to the judges before they did my car, and told their leader that I was more concerned about parts and components being on the score sheet than paint and dirt. I know it's dirty! I really hope they didn't give me a pity mark, and were thorough about the parts!

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
TQs have big advantage. If you start trying to make a daily drver out of a antique car your setting your goal mighty high.It can be done if you have a great set of tools and a lift and a strong buddy and alot of cash and plenty of time on your hands.I watch car show programs on tv that show hundred thousand dollar cars that the owner hopes it will start and drive just for a few minutes to go one lap on the fairgrounds to show the crowd.That's just the way it is in the car world. If you decide to drive the old car just enjoy it until it actually stops ,fix what broke and then don't do anything to the ole chevy but add oil and try and hold it in one lane,it's much cheaper and alot fewer headaches.
When guys look at a TQ they always say "I bet it runs good too".If they only knew. Agrin
Did you ever notice a oily mat under almost evey antique car in a museum? The ones that don't have that mat finally dripped the last drop of oil out and now don't need a mat. togo

Last edited by wawuzit; 08/08/13 11:54 PM.
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I have too many vehicles to have a TQ as they require too much detailing,since I do not have a trailer I have a few that can be driven long distances and others (my 37 p/u) I can drive locally. Thinking about buying a trailer since there is no way I could drive my 37 long distances due to the lack of room in the cab and its far from a TQ,I like drivers better due to not needing constant detailing. Let me rephrase it that I am too lazy to own a TQ

Last edited by junkyardjeff; 08/08/13 11:58 PM. Reason: added more words

VCCA #45194
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Charlie will soon be in the situation of being in both worlds at the same time, a driver towing a trailer queen though the legal towing limit might be a problem.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I really hate to comment on this one since the last time I talked about my 28 National AB Coach on a VCCA forum I got ripped to shreds by "experts", but here goes anyway.

Not all TQs are that way because of the desire to keep them perfect for judging or shows. I drive my 28 Coupe, but my 28 Coach goes by trailer when it goes anywhere, which is almost never. Why you might ask. My 28 Coach has 162 ORIGINAL MILES, has been thoroughly researched back to the original owner/family who purchased it in 1928 in Indiana, and every other owner since my wife's family acquired it in 2000, with letters certifying the mileage by each owner, or their surviving family members. I have government (Canadian) documents certifying its mileage, and a newspaper story on it back around 1993. I personally know and talk to the surviving guy who restored it when it had 14.3 miles (in 1993).

The paint is great, but it is NOT a concourse paint job, more like what came out of the factory in 1928. The car is stored in a heated unit in Illinois, and people get to see it by invitation only. I'm not being selfish, but take it as a personal responsibility to protect the heritage of this vehicle as it was when I received it, which means no driving or additional mileage, and a desire to pass it on to my heirs for the future, and hope some day it will be a 200 year old car with 162 original miles.

So I own a TQ, but never thought I would until my wife inherited it after her father's passing (it had 18 original miles on it when he purchased it). It is a TQ for the reasons stated which are different than why others might have TQs. Just thought I'd give a different perspective on why some TQs may be TQs, but different as to the reasons why. I have nothing against TQs, and admire many of them being so perfect, but I'm also a guy who likes old cars as they were, and not better than they were, which some TQs are. That is every owners call. I love them all because that's what makes me a car guy to begin with. There is beauty in every old car, including some of the rusty beaters still on the road.

If you want to see my TQ and others go to www.theforgottenchevy.com.

And for all the purists out there, please don't tell me things like "its not original since the steering wheel isn't painted brown, or the fan blade is black and should be green, or any of that stuff. I know what it is, what meets original specs, and what doesn't. Out of respect for the two guys in Indiana who restored this car I kept it exactly as they restored it until such time as they have passed. I can always paint the steering wheel brown, or put original black acorn nuts on (I have them), or paint the fan blade green. I love the car for its heritage and the unique story of its history.

And as to judging, I really don't care what someone else thinks of my cars. The only thing that counts is what I think of them, which is true of every car owner. If judging floats your boat more power to you. If not, then so be it. To each his/her own in my view. Lets just enjoy them all, TQ or not, and recognize there may be other reasons for a vehicle to be a TQ.

And I didn't start out to try and stir anything up. Just provide another view on why a vehicle may be a TQ. And every view expressed on the subject is right on, regardless of which side you are on.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Excellent point. I had a 553 mile '19 Touring that I increased the mileage by 15%. Drove fine but just didn't feel comfortable adding mileage to it. Sold it to a major collection with 627 miles on the clock.

I drive my '28 Coupe on tours and short trips but long distance it goes on a trailer. Why? Hot summer nights and days here in Texas and between here and where ever the VCCA tour starts.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000

carbana parking beermugs

Isn't it interesting that by strict definition the 1911, 1912 and 1913 are now true antiques? And every year from now on we add another one. dance

I think that all true antique Chevrolets should be trailered to shows and only run to demonstrate that they can. They should be in a judging class all by themselves until there is enough for separate classes of true antiques. Say every 5-10 years.

Any that make it to the show under their own power and over 50 miles, should automatically be given nice recognition and extra points for that feat. And a VCCA hat.

It'll be another 29 years before my 41 is a true antique. Sadly I won't ever see the day. No high-fives out there. Please. Agrin

Maybe that extra point deal could be instituted for cars now. An extra quarter of a point could be added to the judged total for each hundred documented mile driven to the show. Or something like that.

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
WOW very low miles, and trailering would be showing total respect and I like that !!

Originally Posted by 1928CoachCoupe
And as to judging, I really don't care what someone else thinks of my cars. The only thing that counts is what I think of them, which is true of every car owner.

Reminds me of what I always tell my neighbors when they ask me what I paid for it, and what will it be worth when I am done, how much money have i SUNK into it, etc... My Simple answer is "It doesn't matter, and It is ONLY worth What someone is WILLING to Pay for it"

At the end of the Day ENJOYING your car is what it is all about, how ever you ENJOY It !!

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Many, many good, well taken points here. (I like the "whatever pleases you" themes.)

And, Charlie, whatever led you to think I would park in the wrong section? (Even if I did, someone would quickly "tell me where to go".)

Isn't it great that we are all individuals and all have many options! Ain't ol' cars fun!

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
When I set out doing mine it was to "salvage" a pile of junk. I ended up "salvaging" a parts car as well and a lot of stuff left over from a rodding operation. While everything on it is '34 Master except the starter which is '35, I have cheated here and there on color, fasteners and the odd thing like a carpet instead of a rubber mat. It looks and drives like '34 Chevy and that pleases me and a lot of people based on the comments I get. I finished it in May and I've put about 200 miles driving around town. I realize that while it looks very good, it would fail miserably in a judging situation. But that wasn't why I did it.

As for the trailering, my reality is close to that of Chevguroo, two lanes, far between towns and hordes of racing transports. It is very uncomfortsble holding back a 12 truck convoy. So when you see me arrive at VCCA events which I plan to attend at least a couple every year, including the tour Brewster wants me to attend, I'll arrive with a trailer in tow. So all this to say that all trailered cars aren't "Queens" but most if not all "Queens" are trailered.

Best Regards, Pat
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
You are right about holding up "convoys" behind an old car. I've found some really funny (idiotic) driver habits when I drive my 28 Coupe. If I am holding up a bunch of cars and come to a Paved Shoulder where I can move over and not spray my great paint job with stones, I slow down and wave the cars on, but too many drivers DO NOTHING. They stay behind me until I start running out of Paved Shoulder, and the minute I move back toward the road they all want to PASS even if it is a no passing zone. I don't know if they don't understand a hand signal to pass, are too busy looking at the car, or are just to busy texting and not paying attention, but it drives me nuts. Good reason to take any old car on a trailer if you are going long distances on two lane roads. I usually restrict my travel to 15-20 miles from the house and never drive at night (bad lights on old cars). The 162 mile Coach goes nowhere other than my storage location, or when I move locations, on a flatbed tow truck or an enclosed trailer van depending on distance to be traveled.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by BearsFan315
WOW very low miles, and trailering would be showing total respect and I like that !!

Originally Posted by 1928CoachCoupe
And as to judging, I really don't care what someone else thinks of my cars. The only thing that counts is what I think of them, which is true of every car owner.

Reminds me of what I always tell my neighbors when they ask me what I paid for it, and what will it be worth when I am done, how much money have i SUNK into it, etc... My Simple answer is "It doesn't matter, and It is ONLY worth What someone is WILLING to Pay for it"

At the end of the Day ENJOYING your car is what it is all about, how ever you ENJOY It !!
I think you should just drive the thing...I don't care what the next owner will do with it...I won't be around to give a &#@%... laugh Think about it...Once your gone, you won't care either... laugh Of course I've prudent enough not to sink a small fortune in to my "baby"...

1947 Fleetmaster Sport Coupe VCCA # 47475

If it's not wearing a Bowtie...It's not properly dressed...!
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
WARNING.... MORE BS following..........

My answers is simple.

Enjoy your cars, drive them or put them in a museum.

Don't drive on roads where you think it may hold up traffic.

What's next after "Trailer Queens" become standard for collectors as opposed to drivers.

Will we weld the cars to the trailer, look neater save on rope, then we could have special judging days for car and trailer as 1 unit. Think of the money you could save on not restoring the drive train.

Only joshing of course, enjoy your ride in anyway that you enjoy.

Cheers

Ray

Last edited by 1928isgreat; 08/16/13 10:15 PM.

Some say "Street is neat". I prefer "1928 is great"

I have documented my 45 years with a 1928 Chev Tourer, from 1973 to 2018, and regulary add other items that I hope are of interest to others. Your comments are most welcome.The story of the Red Chev can be viewed at http://my28chev.blogspot.com/
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.