Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#278647 05/20/13 08:17 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Greetings,
Have a question regarding recommendations on the installation of a "fusible link" on my 1931 Chevrolet. I would like to install some protective device should there be a short in the system - I have a battery disconnect but would like just one more level of protection in case I cannot get to the disconnect in time.
I have been to my local auto parts store and noticed there are several types of devices. There is an in line fuse holder that takes the glass tube fuses, or a heavy copper plate with a fuse mounted in it among other options.
Need a little help in determining the correct device. Any recommendations on the type and how others have mounted them onto their car. I assume I need a 15 Amp fuse?
The Model A guys can purchase a nifty little fuse that attaches cleanly to the top of the starter but could not find anything in the Filling Station catalog.
Help.
John Lanning

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Are you aware of the fuse that is on the back of the light switch?

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have the fuse at the light switch, but I was hoping to have a fuse on the hot wire to the amp from the starter/battery. Had a scare a while back when the hot wire from the amp to the ignition switch shorted out and caused a whole lot of smoke and melted the wire completly. My thought was if I had a fuse link ahead at this hot wire it would have burned out before the wire would have shorted out. I suppose we all may have been there before.
John

John Lanning
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
Are you aware of the fuse that is on the back of the light switch?

laugh wink beer2
The Fuse that JD mentions is all your car needs until you add additional equipment such as Signals, Fog Lights etc.. The inline style is just fine and should be sized, (Amps), according to device needs. Generally you can't go wrong with 15 Amp. for most lighting appliances. Radios should be Fused according to the Device manufacturer. Al W.

It's Wise to choose a six!
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Certainly the fuses are there to protect the accessories, like the in-line fuse to my turn signal switch. Was just wanting to add the extra protection of a fuse at the battery source, before the amp meter....
Appreciate the comments!
Thanks,
John

John Lanning
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic

Inline fuse and holder > 40, 50, 60 & more amps

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-MIDI-...SE-HOLDER-WITH-40-AMP-FUSE-/321118877099

Have a nice evening

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Since you already have a battery disconnect and with a fuse on the hot line of the light switch and the amp meter, installing another fuse between the battery and the amp meter is probably redundant.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
The fusible link was installed close to the starter so it would go first before entering the passenger compartment. The fusible link was designed based on the original equipment of a vehicle, not to be retrofitted. It also is meant to burn through or melt. If there is anything around you could still have a thermal incident. I would recommend an inline fuse or breaker close to the starter. They have sealed (waterproof) ones available. Just make sure you use a good quality fuse. I work in the future electrical design for GM and we have seen several failures of poor quality fuses not blowing when they should and causing damage to electrical components.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello 31 Chevy Guy,
Take a look at the resetable circuit breakers used for marine applications such as circuit protection used for an anchor winch. They are waterproof and may be mounted under the hood near starter or battery. They have a reset lever and a button to manually trip to open the circuit. I had two unprotected winches and always felt nervous about the hot lead from the battery somehow shorting on something. I found the breakers at a marine surplus called Sailors Exchange. I was at their store because it was nearby but you may find a source online. One thing to remember if you choose used surplus- verify the mechanical function and continuity or you might get an open one that won't reset.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.