Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
I went to remove the instrument cluster cover for the 41 project. I wanted to get the chrome redone and then send on to have the color matched along with all the other things associated to the base dash color.

Well, I pryed up the square end where it was bent over and tried to slide it out, Stuck. Tried WD-40. Tapped it with a hammer. Broke the glass. Tossed it. Gave up. devil See parts wanted.

a. So how do you guys get that dang stinkin' cover off?

b. What color is the hood release bracket under the dash? Brown like the air conditioning vent and the parking brake handles or tan like the base dash color?

Any help and/or advice will be much appreciated.

Charlie computer

BTW: I finally got the steering mast off. Just had to overcome the tight fit of the steering shaft. Knocked the horne/bushing with the worm end of another steering shaft. Now is that using your head or not?

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
No help from me on (a) although I'll sure be reading the answer.
The hood release bracket on mine is the darker brown, same as the parking brake handle. It is surely original.
Karl

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Charlie I havn't had mine off in years but I do remember a discussion some time ago about openning the instrument pannel and I think you need to pry it open??

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Charlie, I bought a new glass from Chevs of the 40'S. When the dust settles I have all the parts disassembled (pried apart). Let me know what you need. Good luck, Mike

P.S. The best tool for prying off the cover is patience. Follow this with a little screwdriver or knife blade to pry up the edge. Next use a pliers to straighten the edge a little. Will be back home late Sunday if you need a picture!

I could make you a DVD of my doing the work, but I don't know If you understand Michigan English!!!

Last edited by Mike Buller; 05/30/13 09:45 PM.

Mike 41 Chevy
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Thanks guys,

I have a better one that I will likely have someone do over for me. I don't have the patience for that type work. smash

In the meantime, I'm going to get it painted the right color.

I'll be in touch.

Thanks for your replies. It gives me some hope.

Charlie computer

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
The hood release bracket is painted the same color as the lower portion of the dash and stearing mast (which are a 'rose beige'); the knob is the same color as the air vent knob.

...Roy

Roy_Stanley_Lord
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Roy,
Okay,
Thanks,
Charlie computer

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.