Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
PerryS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I am attempting to establish a number of existing 1931 Chevrolet Cabriolets for the benefit of all owners of that year make and model. I am currently doing a complete frame off on my own cabriolet. My research has found no existing source for determining the number of existing cars for that year make and model. Chevrolet manufacturing records document that the total production of 1931 Chevrolet Cabriolets was 23, 077. VCCA records of member's cars established that only 50 are listed for this year make and model. AACA does not keep records concerning members cars. A check with several DMV departments revealed that often times records do not capture the model of the car and therefore are not useful for my purpose.

The Cabriolet was issued later in the manufacturing year. My Cabriolet was the 2,098. car off the Oakland assembly line. The engine casting documents that the engine was cast on July 23, 1931. So it's reasonable to assume that my car was assembled sometime in late July or early August of that year.

I'm asking all owners of 1931 Chevrolet Cabriolets, regardless of condition, to respond to this thread. I will share all information obtained with both members and visitors to this forum as well as the VCCA Representatives who keep records of such matters.

Thank you for your assistance.

Perry A. Seaton
VCCA # 48,785

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Do you also count the Phaeton type?

Agrin

Solan G, # 32797

Take advantage in your hobby by being member of VCCA!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
PerryS
I do the same for 1928 through 1935 sedan deliveries except I only share the data compiled with others. I don't share their personal information....Joe

See America's First...Chevrolet

1931 Sedan Delivery 31570
1933 Standard Sports Coupe 33628.
1934 Master Sedan Delivery Canadian 177/34570
1968 Z/28 Camaro
1969 SS 396 Camaro
PerryS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Solan:

No, I am seeking information on owners of 1931 Cabriolets only. Thank you for responding.

PerryS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I will not share personal information either.

Thank you for responding.

PerryS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I did not make this clear in my original posting. I will not share any personal information. The information I am requesting is:

Your Name
Your State
Your VCCA Number (if you are a member)
Confirmation that you own a 1931 Chevrolet Cabriolet.
Engine Serial Number: This is located behind and to the right of the fuel pump.

Thank you

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Perry, wouldn't a body-or job number be of value too. Engines may have been switched in cars that could lead to incorrect numbers. Best of luck, it sounds like a great project to start.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
PerryS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I agree at least the job number would be useful the body number should always be the same. However, a lot of those job plates are missing, just like the serial number plates inside the car. My goal is to see if my guesstimate is correct. After looking at the VCCA, cars known to be in museums, and cars that I found on AACA my best guess is about 200 left. The reason I am guessing that only 1% of those cars that were manufactured are still in existence Is because of the World War II scrap drives. In 1941, these cars would've been 10 years old. With the wood floors, anyone that drove in bad conditions would probably have some major repairs. Then what you think that the car was sold for $625, and you could buy a new car in 1941 for about $1000, many of these cars were either sent to the scrap drive, or went to the salvage yards where they were crushed. So now I'm trying to get some facts to back up that estimate, With a little help from VCC a members and guests.
Thank you for your help.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.