Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
PerryS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have a 31 Cabriolet with the original 194 Cu in Stove Bolt 6.
At sometime an earlier owner removed all vacuum lines and connections. I still have the Wiper Control Box combined with on/off switch that I am going to have rebuilt.

Questions: Can someone take measurements off of their 31 to provide the exact location, size of hole, type and size (OD) of fitting into the manifold; size (OD) and length of vacuum line to firewall transition; size (OD) and length of straight through connection through the firewall, length of vacuum line from firewall connection to Wiper Control Box; and any other connections, clamps, fittings, etc., that I have overlooked.
I would greatly appreciate a picture where the connector to the manifold is place and a measurement --from front of manifold to that point.

I know this is a lot, but this is gone from my vehicle and I want this installation of the wiper vacuum line and connection to the manifold to be correct.

Thank you.

Perry A. Seaton

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Perry by
Wiper Control Box combined with on/off switch
do you mean the wiper motor with just a slide switch? or do you have a motor with attached rotary speed adjustment in addition to the slide (on-off) switch? If so the attached rotary speed control is not original. I do not have an original Cabriolet to take measurements. I can tell you that the original rubber hose was fabric covered and not smooth like more modern hose. Snyder's has a simulated fabric covered hose that apparently looks more like the original.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
PerryS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
[/quote]do you mean the wiper motor with just a slide switch? or do you have a motor with attached rotary speed adjustment in addition to the slide (on-off) switch?[quote]

I have a wiper motor with just a slide switch - no motor - this is original vacuum control.

That is good information on Snyder's, but could you provide a web address or contact number for them?

I still need to know how the hose is attached to the intake manifold.

I assume that it is some type of brass 90 degree fitting. Can you provide size and type of fitting and where it would be attached to the manifold.

I would assume that regardless of whether the car is a Cabriolet or 31 Coupe or whatever, the wiper connection would be in the same place on the manifold. Your best guess is better than mine as I have nothing to use as a model for connection of this hose.

Also, how is the hose connected to the wiper box. Is it some type of clip like a miniture hose clamp?

Appreciate your help.

Perry A. Seaton

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
That is good information on Snyder's, but could you provide a web address or contact number for them?

You can find them on Google.

I have a wiper motor with just a slide switch - no motor -

??? Can you clarify?

Also, how is the hose connected to the wiper box. Is it some type of clip like a miniture hose clamp?

The hose slides onto a small nipple that is on the wiper motor. No clip is used.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
PerryS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I guess I am not being clear. I have a vacuum wiper moter with a slide switch. I am going to have the motor rebuilt, as it apparently was disconnected several years ago. I am missing all of the vacuum hose, connectors through the firewall, and where the hose is joined to the intake Manifold with some sort of connector, I assume it is a 90 degree brass fitting. I think that the location of the vacuum connection on the manifold must have been plugged, but I can't verify right now as car is in winter storage. My car has the original 194 cu in straight six.

If you have a 31 with straight six, I could probably use the information you can observe on your car, regardless of the model. I need to know:

[list]
[*]Type of connector (brass, cast, etc) where vacuum line is
attached to Maniforld.
[*]Verify the degree of the fitting (45, 90, straight.
[*]Approximate length of vacuum hose from manifold connection
to fitting at the firewall.
[*]Type of fitting that goes through the firewall (I assume it
is some type of male to male fitting).
[*]It is my understanding that there are clips contained on the
inside of the Cowl Moulding (Interior of car) that secures
the vacuum hose in this channel. Are these clips part of
the cowl moulding piece, or are they something I have to
buy? If I need to buy,, what should I get?
[*]What is the approximate length of vacuum hose I will need to
go from inside firewall connection to the nipple on the
vacuum motor connection?

I hope that this is clear. chevy Sorry that I need all of this, but these parts were missing on my car, so do not have a old part to get measurments and to see how things are connected.

Thank you,

Perry A. Seaton

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/

I still need to know how the hose is attached to the intake manifold. I assume that it is some type of brass 90 degree fitting. Can you provide size and type of fitting and where it would be attached to the manifold.
Straight fitting with gentle bend copper tubing near fitting and straight section toward the firewall hole.

I don't understand what you are calling a wiper box. Anyway the hose is a slip fit.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.