Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
PerryS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I want to determine if the following information is correct and if not, what is the correct information:

1. Chassis - Painted Black. I was told that the Chassis is not buffed to a high gloss. Is this correct?

2. Engine: Paint Chevy Blue Engine Enamel - Is all of Engine Block and Bottom of Engine is Painted in this color?

3. I need to replace the fuel line, as the prior owner did just an awful installation of a fuel line filter. This line appears to be of galvanized pipe. Is this correct for the car? Is the line left natural galvanized color, painted black to match fuel tank and splash pans, or Chevy Engine Blue to match Engine?

Thanks

Perry A. Seaton

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
We have had many discussions on the above in the past and some discussions fairly recently. Anyway, the chassis was painted black and it had a dull gloss.

The engine was not painted blue. The correct color was dark blue-gray and it looked almost black in color. The Filling Station has the correct paint.

The complete engine, including the oil pan, was painted the dark blue-gray color (including the edges of the exposed gaskets) except for the accessories such as the generator, distributor, starter, and etc. The bell housing was also painted engine color.

The fuel line was a natural steel color and it was not painted.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I will just add a bit more clarification to Skipper's post. The fuel line is tin or zinc plated steel not just plain steel. The color is similar to clean steel.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
PerryS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Skip:

Thank you for providing this clarification. I was always uncertain as to how the bottom of the engine should be painted, and never did know that the bell housing was also to be painted the color of the engine.

I appreciate your answers, that will help me have a "correct" vehicle when it's Restoration is completed.

Thank you,

Perry A. Seaton

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Cool! Glad to help out.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I have seen lots of different pictures of 32s What is the correct colour of the oil fill/vent tube ?

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Since the assembled engine was painted as a unit, less accessories such as the starter, generator and etc, the oil filler/vent tube was painted engine color, dark blue-gray. However, some factories did have black filler/vent tubes so for judging purposes both would be considered correct.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Interesting,I have never seen an engine colored oil filler vent tube,only black...Learn something every day

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
On the 1931-32 Chevrolets I have seen several that were painted engine color, including the one on my all original 1932 Sedan.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I had mine painted blue grey.When it became shiney it showed how many dents were in it. I stripped out the vent screen and built an expandable mandril worked out the dents rebuilt the screen.Ready for paint thanks for the correct colour.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.