Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
PerryS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have two questions:

1. The manifold vacuum line for the wiper mechanical motor was not on the car when I purchased it. Where is the vacuum line attached to the manifold (intake??) What type of fitting is needed for connection.

2. Is it possible to retain the original 31 transmission but make a modification to make it a synchronized gear transmission like the 32. What is involved? What parts need to be replaced or modified? What source should I use to perform the work (Kansas City metropolitan area)?

Thanks and Happy 2013

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
1. The manifold vacuum line for the wiper mechanical motor was not on the car when I purchased it. Where is the vacuum line attached to the manifold (intake??) What type of fitting is needed for connection.

The intake manifold has a compression fitting with short piece of copper tubing. A rubber hose leads to another piece of tubing on the other side of the firewall. Another piece of hose connects that to the tubing running up the A pillar to a final piece of hose to the wiper motor.

2. Is it possible to retain the original 31 transmission but make a modification to make it a synchronized gear transmission like the 32. What is involved? What parts need to be replaced or modified? What source should I use to perform the work (Kansas City metropolitan area)?

I don't know if a practical way to modify the transmission to add synchronizers. I am sure it can be done but suspect it would be VERY expensive. Once you get used to the "crash" box transmission and if you use 600W lubricant grindless shifts can be made. That is both upshifts and downshifts.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
PerryS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you for the good information.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Perry,
Part of my post
Another piece of hose connects that to the tubing running up the A pillar to a final piece of hose to the wiper motor.
refers to most '31 Chevys. As was pointed out to me in a PM that is not completely true for the Cabriolet and Landau Phaeton. For them the tubing runs to near the wiper motor located in the die-cast bottom windshield casting.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
PerryS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Chip - Very Helpful

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.