Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Gidday Fellas,

Well described jack, thats about how it is I think, but I did not want to force the multi grips to hard in the vise for fear of smashing the die cast surround and we gave it a good try but it did not want to move..

Cheers Grant.

"We're not painting it all fancy"

http://montythe1928chevrolet.blogspot.com.au/

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
If The Filling Station's supplier is of the english speaking variety, any chance of some advice from him as to how one should go about dismantling said device?

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
TFS Steve here....

Mike - I will check with my supplier and yes, he does speak English. I'll let you know if he can help. However, I wouldn't think he can add much as he has a manufacturer overseas make these for him, so don't get your hopes up.

Grant - My offer was to encourage you to do extreme experimentation without fear. We'll replace it if you break it or refund you. I really would like to know if there is a fix for this problem. Get a bigger hammer!.......Well, maybe not a hammer, but don't be afraid to give it some "Tough Love".

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Grant, if you have go at trying to rotate the thermometer, you could hold the stem in a device like my patented round thingee holder:

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/galleries/261399#Post261399

Send royalties please.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Been away at a swap meet and just read the last of these posts.

1st off, Chev 4's didn't have motor meters, they were an after market accessory. I know a few people who dont run one, they say it takes the stress out of worrying about how hot it gets and they know when it's too hot as they boil. Personally I run one. Mine is not a motor meter, it's a radimeter which a lot bigger.
Years ago in Aus a bloke from Queensland retubed motor meters and I had 2 rebuilt, on these the glass tube is not quite round, it has a bulge in the middle front enabling it to be read from both sides. He's passed away now, but I guess somewhere these tubes would be available.
BTW there is an actual Bouyce temperature gauge available but you can only get original ones, they haven't been reproduced. It came with 3 different mounts, by cutting a hole and placing it in the dash, via a clamp around the steering column, and buy a clip where you can attached it to the bottom of the dash. I had one of these installed on my 2 door sedan and when I had the accident that wrote the car off my leg was cut through to the bone by the edge of the gauge, so now it's in my show cabinet.
Chris

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Grant... we'll even let you swear at it if you break it!! Have at it! Steve... this is customer service. Love what I'm seeing here!

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Hi there Chris,

( my leg was cut through to the bone by the edge of the gauge, so now it's in my show cabinet)

I assume that your are talking about your LEG? wink
so what else is in yor show cbinet?

Peter

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
TFS Steve here again........Hold the phone and stop the presses! I just talked with our supplier today. They actually assemble these here in the USA. He tells me that they use a glue that hardens to an extremely hard material. They have tried to disassemble or move the tube previously, without luck. HOWEVER, he will make some RHD units special for us if we can get 6-10 orders for them. It will take him about 30 days after we order them.

I also asked him about the changeover from mercury to a different chemical, which is when the problem started. This took place over 10 years ago. In any case, I think we finally have a solution to the problem. Grant, we will exchange yours for you, however, we need a few others to step up before we can have these special ones made. Any other takers?? Not for sure if the price will be the same, but I think so.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
That's a great offer, if my cars didn't have temperature guages in them I would buy one to make up the numbers. We need a few r.h.d. Chevrolet owners to step up and make this happen and show Steve that we appreciate his services.

"Never give up" Louis Chevrolet
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Gidday fellas,

FANTASTIC!

That is very much appreciated again Steve, its a great outcome, just with the fact also that we now know that we cannot undo them, great research on your part and also nice to see the manufacturer stretching the boundaries a little with the making of a batch of RHD ones if the numbers come to, and yes put me down for one please.

I am just letting you know that the brass tube on the bottom of mine did actually get a little more knocked about with the multi-grips and vice, well you did say to have a good go wink it is not broken, it still all works, but it looks very used and worse for wear.

If you do not want it back I am more than happy to pay for a new RHD one if and when they become available, just let us know if this all pans out.

Well thanks to all that posted and responded in a positive way to my original question with this thread, one which got off to a rather shabby start to begin with and to Mr Dave Perry, I'm sorry for causing you so much grieve that you jumped out of the starters gate a little to quickly, something I have done and been accused of from time to time on this site, so I know where you are coming from.

Thanks once again Steve and good job!

Cheers Grant.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Thank you, Steve.

Bill Masters
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
STEVE ROCKS! As does his supplier.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
luv2 bananalove bananabang bananalove luv2

Reminds me of a song... "Why can't we all just get along?" music

bowdown grphug

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Left leg ( my good one) right on the front of the bone where there's minimal skin.
Re my collection, come down one day and waste a few hours
Chris

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Simply super here people. WOW.......! This "IS" what we are all about.

V.C.C.A. - (National) - (S.O.C.R. #7) - M.C.A.A.C. (NOT V.C.C.A. - "local").... http://www.mcaac.mb.ca * * * Chevys are G R E A T * * *.
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Now that this matter seems mostly settled, I'd like to chime in about Steve and the FS. I met Steve around 1979 when he and the FS were still in the Sacramento area. He'd come North to the Portland, Ore area to a VCCA NorthWest Meet. We haven't done a lot of business over the years only because I don't do any wrenching to speak of. But what little business we've done has always been above satisfactory. Besides being a wonderful person, he runs a great operation. Totally dedicated to customer satisfaction. (Take a look at "this situation" as an example!!!) Sorry, that's a long 2 cents. But definitely my feeling and experience.

Bill.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
TFS - Steve here.......So I decided to order 10 of the Right Hand Drive Moto Meters from our supplier. The price will be slightly higher at $59.50 each. Grant - I will send you a 1928 version at no charge as agreed - no need to send the "test dummy" back. You did your part and I will do mine.

We have had one other member inquire about the new Moto Meters. We appreciate the kind comments from everyone. Our goal is to bring you quality parts and we are glad to resolve this issue for all our friends and customers with right hand drive cars & trucks.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Gidday Fellas,

Steve - Many thanks once again.

Cheers Grant.

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Hi Monty,
Ignore a couple of negative feed backs you have
had about this subject. But I for one, being a kiwi, did not
realize the problem. just thought it got stuffed in transit
I see the filling station number for this is VT-28RHD as I have
all ready ordered one
PS best of luck with
your old dads car

Cheers
Dixie

dixies
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hey Grant, glad you raised the issue and prompted the discussion. My motor is an old original and I have no trouble reading it. I guess the originals are either omnidirectional or were set up to be seen in RHD mode.

Grant, if you had more friends who would travel with you you could just ask them to check the temp for you! laugh

I'll definitely order a RHD from Steve, I've got a big order I'm working on and I'll add it to the list. Just need to save up my $$.

Andrew

While the rest of the crew may be in the same predicament, it's almost always the pilot's job to arrive at the crash site first.
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
OK Steve (FS), I've hit the order button today... looking forward to getting a RHD motor-meter in the post. If you have them in stock of course.

Andrew

While the rest of the crew may be in the same predicament, it's almost always the pilot's job to arrive at the crash site first.
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for the order Skidd. We have both designs (Bowtie & Winged Wheel) in stock and ready to ship out!

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Gidday fellas

A quick follow up to say that today the postie knocked on the door and handed me a parcel from the filling station which contained a new right hand drive motometer.
Now i must go and install it then give it a demo.

Many thanks once again Steve and i wish you and the staff at FS a merry xmas and happy new year.

Cheers Grant.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Great news Grant,

In the end both you and Steve worked this out for the betterment of yourself and a lot of others in the future.

Well done guys, and apologises on behalf of a few who saw the negative side of this in the beginning.

Have a very Chevy Christmas.

Cheers

Ray

Some say "Street is neat". I prefer "1928 is great"

I have documented my 45 years with a 1928 Chev Tourer, from 1973 to 2018, and regulary add other items that I hope are of interest to others. Your comments are most welcome.The story of the Red Chev can be viewed at http://my28chev.blogspot.com/
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Gidday fellas,

Yep works a treat and it's great to now view the "red line" easily which makes a difference when driving, so thanks again to all involved.

And to Mr Perry, Seasons Greetings ;-)

Cheers Grant.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.