Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Beamer Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
I just discovered my wipers don't work. I am supposed to have the car inspected tomorrow. When I turn them on, they go from the stopped position out across the windshield to the outer position and stop. when I turn the switch off, they return to the original position. All vacuum lines are connected and not leaking. I did the quick "wiper motor tune-up" that was in the G&D a month or two ago and no help. Is this most likely a switch or motor problem? I read the posts made a couple of days ago and couldn't find anything re this problem. Beamer

Last edited by Beamer; 09/20/12 05:31 PM.

Chat Region Member
2017 GMC Canyon
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Did you check to make sure you do infact have consistant vacuum leading to the wiper motor ? Maybe they will accept the fact that the wipers are vacuum and can be temprimental at times.

Member 45+ years, been around since the beginning !
Beamer Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Yes. Vacuum to the motor is consistent and strong. I may be in trouble as it appears new or ready rebuilt motors are rather scarce. I sent an email to the wiper guy in NY who was mentioned in the earlier threads a couple of days ago but it was after six and they had probably gone home. Beamer

Chat Region Member
2017 GMC Canyon
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
If your wiper motor has a oval snap on cover in the middle there is a valve that is spring loaded that reverses the motor. The spring is probably week or it needs lube.
Al

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Beamer,

just explain to the inspector that you have to constantly turn the little know back and forth as you are driving along and that that is the way they worked back when. If he is younger than thirty-five he won't know that you are BSing him/her. stressed

I think Al is on the right track. It would seem that something is messed up with the reverse switch on top of the motor. There is only two screws (small bolts) holding it in with on end of the motor base slotted. Easy (your body position is not the best being on your back and all) to take out after slipping the spring retainer off. I'd slip it out and hook it up to a vacuum source and play with it some (read adjust).

I wish I had a clue as to what to suggest you do about the problem. You may need a new motor (for the wipers).

Good luck with it,
Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Beamer,
Turn on the wipers and when the blade stops try pushing it a bit further. If that results in the motor reversing then you may have to move the wiper arm on the shaft. If moving it on the shaft will result in the rest position being too far in the other direction so it won't reverse then you will have to make adjustments to the reversing mechanism in the motor.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Beamer Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
I was frantic to get the car inspected as I was leaving this week for a convention and if it didn't pass inspection, I think I may have had to turn in my plates as you only have a 10 day period to correct any problems. However, it did pass (I take the fifth) and now I have a whole year to get the wiper problem straightened out. Of course, I want them fixed so I have already started my search for a new motor in case I need one. I won't know that though until I get the existing one out and run a few tests on it. That should happen next week at the latest. Beamer

Chat Region Member
2017 GMC Canyon

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.