Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Beamer Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
I reviewed all the posts before I posted my latest one and I did not see anything that really answered the questions I posed in it. Maybe I am more confused than I think!!! In any case, my brother-in-law in FL is sending me a different turn signal switch. Unfortunately, when he removed it from the car, he just cut all the wires about 8" from the switch. I will look at it when it comes but will probably just have to get a new and proper one. Beamer

Last edited by Beamer; 09/18/12 06:25 PM.

Chat Region Member
2017 GMC Canyon
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I thought you had it all under control Beamer but to re-cap:

Originally Posted by Beamer
I have been really confused since the brake light switch entered the picture. I believe I have the front lights figured out. Put in new two-wire sockets and run one wire to the existing parking light wire and the second to the turn signal switch. Pretty simple.

Yup - just be mindful of the pigtail indexing.
Most new sockets are designed for off-set pin bulbs just like the old sockets in the rear.
Since the bulb only goes in the socket one way, it's important the correct feed wire be connected to the correct pigtail wire.

Seven Wire and Four Wire T/S switches both require the two front lamps to have proprietary T/S filaments.
The parking light wiring stays exactly the same, except now are run to the low candle power filaments of your new # 1154 bulbs (or # 1158 using the original sockets with new dual pigtails).
Two wires, a Left and a Right, go from the T/S switch to the high candle power filaments.
It's either that or disable the parking light feature and use # 87 single filament bulbs in the original front sockets.

The Seven Wire units 'share' the brake light filaments.
The Seven Wire T/S lever automatically changes the feed to one of the rear brake lights, from the brake light switch to the flasher unit.
When the signal is cancelled the brake lights function as per usual.
The same 'principle' could apply up front but it's not worth all the required extra redesigning inside of the T/S switch.

Now keep in mind this Seven Wire information is about the new ones readily available with a 4-way hazard switch.
Originals and older models may vary and/or require rebuilding.

Beamer Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
With all the inputs and info provided through this thread, I believe I have a handle on installing turn signals. My thanks to all. Beamer

Chat Region Member
2017 GMC Canyon
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.