Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#253143 08/26/12 09:10 AM
Vintage Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have some play in the trans. shift lever and a couple times when parking the lever has slipped out of the spool valves and the result is stuck in 3rd gear. It is easy enough to remove the lever and align the spool valves and reinsert the lever.

My question is could someone measure the bottom of their shift lever? My lever is worn there and I could weld up the material at that point and then machine it to size. The spool valves look fine so just the lever needs attention. The bottom of the lever is on a taper on 2 sides so I would need 4 measurements of the top of the taper and the bottom of taper on both sides.

I would very much appreciate the help.
Thank you for your time,
Gary

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Hi Gary, An old tractor guy told me he uses modeling clay in the slots and put the lever in to measure the distance to the bottom of the slot with the lever installed. The clay will squish out to where the installed clearance is at now and you can gauge it from there. He then welds it up and leaves about 1/8th inch clearance. Might try that. My car isn't here right now to measure.

28 Chevy LO Capitol 1 ton, 28 National 2 dr coach, 71 Chevy Custom Camper 3/4 ton. Also 23 Oldsmobile Economy truck and a 24 Olds sport touring.
Vintage Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Bob,

Interesting idea, I think I will try that since no one else is interested in measuring the trans. Lever. It is a very simple task and an 1/8" clearance sounds reasonable. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Cheers,
Gary

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.