Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Question 1)
Is there any difference in the gas tank sending unit between a 1936 Master and Standard series? The Filling Station lists one specifically for the 1936 Master (part # 1515207)--doesn't indicate that it includes the Standard series. They also have the generic sending unit where the float level is set to fit different depths.

Question 2)
Is there any difference between the gas tank from a 1936 Master series Town Sedan (trunk back) and a 1936 Standard series Town Sedan (trunk back)? Will they interchange?

I'm planning on replacing the tank on my Standard Town Sedan with one from a Master Town Sedan. The spare gas tank I have came from a Master Town Sedan, hence the switch. The tank currently on my car is dented significantly and has developed a leak at the top, so want to replace.

Thanks!

Last edited by 1936chev; 08/22/12 02:31 PM.

"The cost of living hasn't affected it's popularity." - Mark Twain
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Mea culpa on Question 1). In looking at the master parts book, the Filling Station sales rep gave me the part number for the 1940-46 All Commercial dash fuel gauge (Chevrolet calls it Gauge, Gasoline Instrument Panel). On the phone, I clearly indicated that I wanted the fuel tank sending unit for a 1936 Chevrolet. But the person still misunderstood.

But the question still stands--is the fuel sending unit different for the standard (FC) and master series? So far, I haven't found them in the parts book--it may be officially called the Gasoline Gauge, Tank?

Last edited by 1936chev; 08/22/12 03:10 PM.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
The Chevrolet parts book shows that the gas tank sending unit is the same for FA and FC.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Junkyard Dog,

Thanks for the response! Belatedly, in the Master Parts book 1929-48, I found part number 1515463 is for 1935-38 Gauge, Gasoline Tank, with Gasket. It includes FC, FD, and FA for 1936. I've still got to figure out the part naming patterns. One would think that since I work for a state agency would be better at that.crazy Sorry for pestering you all about the sending unit, sorry didn't discover in the first look in the parts book blush!

But I'm still not sure about Question 2) I know that the different body styles used different filler necks, but did not know if any other differences.

Last edited by 1936chev; 08/22/12 05:43 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.