Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Steve,

According to Gene's post, the temp gauge was not a factory option for the Master, so the Master would not have left the factory with the temp gauge. As Gene said, it was a dealer installed accessory, which most dealers apparently installed--hence most Masters had a temp gauge when leaving the dealership. I have seen a 38 Master without a temp gauge (and the original delete plate, which has a Chevrolet bowtie on it) as well as a picture of one; I have also seen an instrument panel for sale on Ebay with the original delete plate.

Jim

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Take a look on Ebay at this coupe: 170883828371

It does not have a temp gauge installed.

Jim

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by ED1938
Kevin....Turning the crankshaft while in the car was a real treat to watch..The old guy I worked for in those days (who owned the garage) was a "appointment only guy" he had a real following of customers.
He was a airplane mechanic in the Army Air Corps (before the U.S. had a "Air Force" ) in WWII.
He was a stickler for perfection.and taught me to except nothing but the best....He told me that during the war if any pilot got killed he did not want it to be his fault...He was a great guy...Long dead now......ED
Very Interesting, Ed. I'm trying to visualize re-surfacing a crankshaft while in the car but I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around this one...Was he "turning" with a single point tool or was it a grinding procedure...? I'll assume he was doing connecting rod journals...? Thanks a lot ,Ed...I needed to get some sleep tonight. lol

1947 Fleetmaster Sport Coupe VCCA # 47475

If it's not wearing a Bowtie...It's not properly dressed...!
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
how did you put photos up ?

cheers

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
You will need to use an online photo storage server such as photo bucket, and then you can post images directly into the posting.
This is the instructions from FAQ & HELP on the HEADER above with BLUE WORDINGS. Click on there to help with site questions.

In order to add an image to your message or your signature, you must have the image already available on a web server and reachable by a URL. This can be an image on your own personal web page, for example. To place an image within a message, simply use the following Markup Tag:

[Linked Image from url_to_image.com]

For example, if you have an image called cateye.gif and its available from your own website at http://www.mywebsite.com/pics, then you would use the following image markup:

[Linked Image from mywebsite.com]

You can do the same for your signature. Click the My Home option found on any page. Then, under the Main Configuration heading, click on "Personal Information, email, password...". Look for the Signature box, and enter your desired information, including any images/markup as above.

Note: To keep the forums loading quickly for everyone, it is recommended that you do not exceed 35k for your image size.

Last edited by jack39rdstr; 07/24/12 04:04 AM.

JACK
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Originally Posted by tonysk
how did you put photos up ?

cheers

This is for starting a thread but the process is the same for adding to an existing thread.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Originally Posted by 5050
Would really move your battery if you had the holder or do you just wish it came that way? Good photos thanks for posting them. grant
Yes, I am going to move the battery to under the hood as each time I access it under the floor, I do additional damage to the mat. I will leave the original box in place but will remove and keep the original cables. I will use new cables including at least a 00 gauge positive cable. Beamer

Chat Region Member
2017 GMC Canyon
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I'm thinking of removing my mat altogether, it's so brittle but still in one piece...At least 'till all the MC work is done...Glad my battery doesn't reside under there...!

It appeared mostly angle iron involved with that battery holder...

1947 Fleetmaster Sport Coupe VCCA # 47475

If it's not wearing a Bowtie...It's not properly dressed...!
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Originally Posted by jmmmn37
Take a look on Ebay at this coupe: 170883828371

It does not have a temp gauge installed.

Jim

Jim..Thanx for that post.I checked out the eBay #.
I never seen a 38 without a temp gauge...let alone a delete plate in it's place.

BTW nice to hear from you again...I hope your truck project is going well....ED

I was only wrong one time in my life so far. But that time I was right, and only thought I was wrong....ED
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Originally Posted by kevin47
Originally Posted by ED1938
Kevin....Turning the crankshaft while in the car was a real treat to watch..The old guy I worked for in those days (who owned the garage) was a "appointment only guy" he had a real following of customers.
He was a airplane mechanic in the Army Air Corps (before the U.S. had a "Air Force" ) in WWII.
He was a stickler for perfection.and taught me to except nothing but the best....He told me that during the war if any pilot got killed he did not want it to be his fault...He was a great guy...Long dead now......ED
Very Interesting, Ed. I'm trying to visualize re-surfacing a crankshaft while in the car but I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around this one...Was he "turning" with a single point tool or was it a grinding procedure...? I'll assume he was doing connecting rod journals...? Thanks a lot ,Ed...I needed to get some sleep tonight. lol

Kevin...The machine did only turn the rod journals, by grinding them to a precision setting..the arm with the grinding wheel inside attached to the crank like a con rod would turn the crank, only upside down...The spark plugs were removed and the machine would spin the crank,like a rod would do and grind it clean and back to round and the bearing would be replaced with a over sized one.
...ED

I was only wrong one time in my life so far. But that time I was right, and only thought I was wrong....ED
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
hi is that a 202 carb

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
carbs off a HR holden, Ive got the original one, but its running so good with this one, that Im not sure I want to change it back.

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
If the carb is HR (179 or 186) it will be a little restrictive (rev limiting) at full throttle on a 207 or 216 but I guess you wont be taking it to anywhere over 3/4 throttle opening anyway so you probably wont have a problem.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
hi a lot of us in nz have fitted 202 carb they work well

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Tony
The first 202 came out in the HQ, earlier models had 186 as the "big" 6 cyl engine.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
do you think the 202 is to big? most of us use that i have one on my chev i am going to fit a adjustable main jet as it seems to run a bit rich

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.