Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#244377 06/01/12 09:37 PM
37ryan Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Recently had 37 chev converted from 6 to 12v system. Dash lighting improved somewhat, but still leaves a lot to be desired for these tired old eyes. Any suggestions on how to brighten up the situation? Thanks for any ideas. Want to keep original look and not "Billetize" if possible

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Brighter (higher candle power ) bulbs. See what number bulb is in the now and we can suggest a brighter one perhaps.
My present 1939 with the original 6 volt is hard to read (the gauges) at night also. I can't remember my '39 that I had 60 yaars ago having such dim dash lights.

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Make sure that you have the right bulbs.

See the info in this post about Dons Bulbs. Enter the original 6v bulb number, the site will give the equivalent 12v substitute that has the same base, glass, and nearly the same wattage. For example, the link in the post shows that #53 12v bulb is the equivalent substitute for #51 6v bulb.
VCCA Chat post

Here is a quick reference of 6v and 12v bulb locations in 1954-1957 Chevys. However, I would go with the substitution info at Dons Bulbs rather than the info in this chart because some of the original locations in your vehicle may be different to the ones in the chart.

If any of your bulbs are old, replace them with new ones. They dim with age. Be careful about substituting bulbs with higher lumins/candle power. They will use more watts and therefore produce more heat. Extra heat may damage your gauge faces, lenses, or baffles.

I'm sure that you have already cleaned the back of the lenses. You may also try painting the inside of the gauge housings like they were originally from the factory. Here are the original housings in my '54 truck:
[Linked Image from i149.photobucket.com]

- Lonnie

1954 3100
OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
hi there,
my 34 std works on 6 volts and the interior light is very dim, so dim in fact that there is not much use in switching it on. I have painted the inside, that was a beige colour, WHITE and it does make a difference.
The dashboard is only illuminated by one bulb, but I am unsure what will happen if I increase the wattage.
I was wondering if there are 6 volt LED bulbs? they produce a very bright light and run very cool, (so I'm told) togo
has anyone tried the LED solution?
Peter

never give 100% unless you are giving blood.

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

What is the number of the bulb you are using?

devil Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
hi there,
I have absolute no idea, no markings on bulb, but it would be interesting to find out more about the L.E.D. idea?
I have L.E.D's on the rear lights and 3rd brake light in the rear window, and they are super bright...
Peter

Last edited by blueyAU; 06/13/12 09:17 PM.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
My 37 p/u has been converted to 12 volts and the dash lights are still not that bright,it has two bulbs lighting up all the gauges and I am going to see about brighter bulbs.

VCCA #45194
37ryan Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
haven't tried LEDs but keep in mind they are very directional ie they emit light in one direction only. Thats why they"re so bright when you stand directly in back of them, and I don't think they would be good in a dash because you would need mor of a flood than directional light. my 2 cents

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
If you elect to use LED's, go for the reversing lights.
They have led's on the sides as well as on the front.
They give a good light for reversing in a modern car and would light up your dash the same.
Worth a thought...
Peter

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
A 41 has a rheostat on the light switch. Not having dealt much in ancient Chevrolets such as the 37s, I'm not sure they came with one. You may want to investigate that. If it has one, It may need cleaning or the switch replaced.

Brighter bulbs shouldn't be needed. That's only masking the problem. Check that you have a good ground at the battery to wherever it is supposed to be attached.

Good luck with it,
Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The 1940 was the first to have a rheostat. The 1939 I had in 1949 had decent dash lighs. The present 1939 I have has dim dash lights........It is your eyes over 60 years later that make the difference.
The 1941 is an exception as the large silver dial lights up much better.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Gene,

Then the lights are just as bright as ever but it's our eyes that have grown old and we can't see as well as we used to. Not me. I can see at 78 just as well as I did at 18. cool Yeah, right.

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I also have dealt with low light levels in my 41. Fortunately, for me I had planned on replacing my electrical harness. The new harness made all the difference. I have very good lights at the dash and everywhere else. I didn't change any of my bulbs. There have been posts on using LED lights. Some of them have not been favorable due to the theory that they draw more electricity. Bad wiring with conventional lights or LED lights will not help either bulbs' brightness.

I found I had a short in the dimmer switch (rheostat) of my light switch. As the wiring in the rheostat heated up, it expanded, causing the light fuse to blow from a broken wire. The wire would maintain its contact until it got to a certain temperature or expansion. To keep from losing all lights, I bypassed the switch so the interior lights are always their brightest. I really enjoy having bright lights illuminate my dash. It brings back more of the old car feeling for me and helps me easily see how the gauges are working and the radio and clock are lit.

It did take me quite a long time to diagnose my rheostat problem, but one night after a football game in a city about 20 miles away I was on a back road with two buddies in the car. It was an old farm road with ditches on each side. It was completely dark out when the lights went out for about two seconds. Long enough for my brain to say "oh [bleeped]." Fortunately, the lights came right back on and we got safely home. That's when I decided to rewire the rheostat. I have had no problems since!!! Good luck, Mike

Mike 41 Chevy
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Mike, you said: "I really enjoy having bright lights illuminate my dash."

I wish I could agree with you but can't quite go there. I like them as dim as possible and still be able to see what they are reading (indicating). Bright dash lights seem to diminish my night vision for seeing down the road whilst cruising along. 41s have nice gages and the needles show up well. You know.

Some on modern cars, when ratcheted up, are really bright. orangeupset

Charlie computer

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Check out these LED bulbs that are non-directional (well, 9 LEDs in different directions). This is what I'm going to put in my Corvair. I may also do the tail lights. Mine will be here for Christmas and I'll try to do some before and after shots. Here is an after shot posted in the Caveman Corvair facebook page, using two green bulbs.

LED lighting for dashboards (and other places)

[Linked Image from sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net]

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have installed the LED. I went with red. Green might be better, but it is an easy switch of two light bulbs.
[Linked Image from widman.biz]

Then came the tail lights. A huge difference. The camera sort of blurs it as it figures out the light, but you get the idea.
They are real red. The camera changes them to white
original tail lights

LED tail lights

Original tail and brake

LED tail and brake

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.