Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#235631 02/28/12 06:04 PM
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
My 41 coupe's hood keeps popping open almost every time I run across a rough railroad track or a pot hole. I stop soon, of course, and slam it shut. I hate to do that but it will work to keep it closed longer, it seems. dance2

I know what the problem is, of course, the knob doesn't properly seat to the catch. I'm going to loosen the cowl to radiator frame and force it out some. I was wondering if I'll have to loosen the fender bolts, etc. I suppose I'll have to loosen the upper ones but not necessarily the lower ones.

Has anyone experienced this problem and, if so, how much did you have to do to fix the problem. hood I realize that all cases may be different but would like to hear from you anyway. dance

Note: The problem exists because I put it the front end on too far to the rear, i.e. towards the cowl.
Thanks,
Charlie computer

BTW: When the hood pops open, it is right embarrassing. Especially when your car is cleaned up and looking right good and you have to pull off in traffic to raise the hood. The message to the public is that you have an old car and are experiencing a major problem. Well, I feel that way and you know what I mean. Agrin

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Have checked to make sure the cable goes all the way in and it is not holding it part way released.

Dens Chevys 1927 Speedster 1928 coupe 1941street rod 1947Fleetline 4 door 1949 1/2 ton Pickup (sold) 1954 210 4 door 1972 Monte Carlo 2003 Corvette convt..
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Dens,
Sure did. That was the first thing I checked. The spring in the receiver has full travel. Its the alignment, I think.

Thanks for your advice,
Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 1,500
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,500
Hey Charlie, This is just a thought and a shot in the dark but, isn't the post thing on the hood (don't know what it's called) that goes down into the latch, adjustable? If it does, I wonder if it needs to be adjusted a little longer so it will go farther through the latch. I am in Tx. right now so I can't go look at my 48 but I think they work the same?
I had a friend in high school that had a beautiful 46 coupe with about 20K miles on it and his hood flew up at speed, sure made a couple nice creases in his cowl!
Good Luck,

Last edited by Uncle Ed; 02/28/12 07:50 PM.

Ed
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Western Ed.
Well it seems to go down far enough. I'll check it again. But it seems that it is just riding on the lip of the catch that is activated by the hood wire.
Thanks for your suggestion.
Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Originally Posted by 41specialdeluxe
Western Ed.
Well it seems to go down far enough. I'll check it again. But it seems that it is just riding on the lip of the catch that is activated by the hood wire.
Thanks for your suggestion.
Charlie computer

Charlie.....Check the rubber bumpers that are around edge of the hood...They are there to preload the hood and to make it fit tight and not be susceptible to movement by twist and jolts that telegraph the bumps in the road and will cause the hood to flex and pop open. If they are missing or worn out, replace them. They are available at most suppliers like FS or Chev of the forties...Good Luck ...ED

I was only wrong one time in my life so far. But that time I was right, and only thought I was wrong....ED
ChatMaster - 1,500
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,500
Charlie, If my memory serves me right (and my Dear Wife frequently points out that it does not) the latch is attached to a plate that bolts to the metal in front of the radiator. I had mine out a year or so ago and it seems like there was some fore/aft adjustment there. Probably just another useless idea.

Ed
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Charlie Ed is right. The latch plate "floats" in the sloted holes in the upper grille panel. Loosen all the screws and position the latch hole directly below the striker before retighting. The striker is adjustible up and down for the proper tension. When propely adjusted the hood should close with just a firm push.
Jay

ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Jay and Western Ed,
That's a good piece of advice. dance I hadn't thought of that plate being adjustable. hood sleep2

I'll look into it and let you know if it works. I hope it does because the hood and fenders match (align) up really nice right now.

Thanks a heap,
Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Seems as if you have a lot of advice.

The hood on my 41 did the same thing and here is what I did.

After following ALL the ideas and suggestions I received from other members {radiator core misalignment, hood misalignment, Cable, grease, knob, front end misalignment, etc., etc.}

I loosened {turned} the nuts & bolts about 1/16” on the Hood Latch Plate {not the one on the hood}. Then I took a rubber mallet and hit the plate SLIGHTLY forward. Then I tighten the nuts & bolts. Then I went for a drive over and over some RR tracks and dips in the road {No I do not mean old VCCA members} & Viola!! No more hood opening problems.

Before I loosened the nuts & bolts or did any tapping I placed a piece Blue Tape directly along the Rear Edge of the plate, so I could see if OR how far it moved. It was a visual guide if you will.

I did it this way because, I did not think after loosening the nuts & bolts ALL the way I could successfully move the plate by hand, 1/64 of an inch. Which I figured might be near the distance/spacing. But “Tapping” the plate 1/64” was easy and it worked.

Good luck & there nothing like sharing success.

ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Thanks, Mike.

I'm going to try to do that Monday. Agrin

It's been a real headache. hello2 After it pops open, it seems to do it again right after I get it closed again. Then it will go for a right good ways - over potholes and RR tracks - before popping loose again.

I hope the remedy will work for me as well as it did for you. Besides, I really do need to check the oil. The only way I'm checking it now is by the pressure gage. hood

Best,
Charlie computer

BTW: Did you get another car yet?

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Thanks, Mike.

I'm going to try to do that Monday. Agrin

It's been a real headache. hello2 After it pops open, it seems to do it again right after I get it closed again. Then it will go for a right good ways - over potholes and RR tracks - before popping loose again.

I hope the remedy will work for me as well as it did for you. Besides, I really do need to check the oil. The only way I'm checking it now is by the pressure gage. hood

Best,
Charlie computer

BTW: Did you get another car yet?

Charlie....That's strange (your hood thing) I have never heard of that happening to a 1938 Chevy......I wonder why??? could it be that from 1938 to 1941 the quality in manufacturing went downhill????.....ED

I was only wrong one time in my life so far. But that time I was right, and only thought I was wrong....ED
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Happy to offer and I hope you have the success I did.

No "new" car yet.

Good Luck

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Be careful that you can open the hood after you move the hood latch plate. Can be a problem getting the hood to open with the grill in.

Ya got to drive'em
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
32Ragtop,
Thanks, I'll try to keep that in mind. stressed

Eastern Ed,
No, the quality was even up some. The quality of me, however, has dropped slap off the scale. Grin Agrin

Charlie computer

BTW: Mike, if you don't get another 41, then please allow me to make a suggestion. I think about one of the cutest cars to ever come down the pike is a blue bottom and (can't think of the top color), 1950 Bel-air. drool luv2 dance

Don't tell anyone but I think the sun-visor (you know the nice ones? That's the one I mean.) looked pretty good on the Bel-Air.)

I think the color combination was Windsor Blue and Grecian Grey. Not sure, though. Maybe someone else has the right combo. I looked this up in my parts book but the grecian grey seems to be a little light in color.

A guy in my high school one. It was a really pretty ride. Of course, there are others but to me that was one of the best looking Chevrolet cars ever. Whatever your choice, good luck with it. I'm sure it will be nice.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
32Ragtop,
Thanks, I'll try to keep that in mind. stressed

Eastern Ed,
No, the quality was even up some. The quality of me, however, has dropped slap off the scale. Grin Agrin

Charlie computer

BTW: Mike, if you don't get another 41, then please allow me to make a suggestion. I think about one of the cutest cars to ever come down the pike is a blue bottom and (can't think of the top color), 1950 Bel-air. drool luv2 dance

Don't tell anyone but I think the sun-visor (you know the nice ones? That's the one I mean.) looked pretty good on the Bel-Air.)

I think the color combination was Windsor Blue and Grecian Grey. Not sure, though. Maybe someone else has the right combo. I looked this up in my parts book but the grecian grey seems to be a little light in color.

A guy in my high school one. It was a really pretty ride. Of course, there are others but to me that was one of the best looking Chevrolet cars ever. Whatever your choice, good luck with it. I'm sure it will be nice.

Charlie....What is that color that you talk about that you call "Grecian Grey"..Here in Cincinnati were I live there is a moderate Greek population that has a festival every year to celebrate one of there traditional rituals...but I have never seen a Greek person at one of those gatherings that was GREY...Am I missing something here??? are all Greeks gray or just some of them??? Are North Carolin Greeks Grey??? Help me out here..."confused in Cincinnati"....Ed

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hm

Greek and Grey here wavey

Jianis

ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Eastern Ed and Mike,
I've thought on that fifty's color some more and think now the car was Windsor Blue top and bottom. I don't know where in the world I came up with a two-ton paint scheme. stressed
Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
I adjusted the plate today. Moved about an 1/8 of an inch. I think that might work.

Didn't drive it yet. Maybe tomorrow. Too windy today (with gusts up to 35 knots) and only about 55 degrees. Once in a while we have really nasty weather like this. popcorn
Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 1,500
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,500
Hope it works for you Charlie. Keep us posted.

Ed
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
I drove the 41 today and the hood didn't pop up after negotiating some rather significant pot holes, RR crossings, manhole cover depressions, etc. It will take more testing to be sure it is adjusted enough to hold. It didn't happen to pop open all the time just once in a while. Nonetheless, I think it may be sufficiently adjusted to hold better over time.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, Mike's one about adjusting the plate was the top eye-opener. And, yes, 32 Ragtop, I held my breath when I closed the hood and reopened it! yipp
Thanks everyone,
Charlie computer

BTW: I didn't drive down any washboard dirt roads to give the adjustment some real good testing because there are none of those roads around here anymore.

I was about to drive over to Tennessee but decided that it was too late in the day to be caught over there after dark and, besides, it would have been "over-kill" as a test and cruel and unusual punishment for the car. My car doesn't have a super name such as "Sweetie" drool luv2 but it does have feelings. Does too!

BTW2: Where is Steve?

ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
After having adjusted the hood's lower receiver plate and after having driven over rough spots (railroad tracks, too late seen pot holes, and unavoidable manhole covers) that would have previously caused the hood to pop open, I can report now that it is performing as a 41 should. luv2

I'm glad to get rid of that nuisance factor. While, it is okay and expected for a 38 to be seen stopped by the side of the road and the driver getting out to fix something, it is downright embarrassing for a 41. You know. Agrin

I am well aware that 38s don't experience the problem I had. They having those antiquated (read ancient) hood-side catch handles and all with no inside the cabin release mechanism. carbana This is just one of the things that 41ers must put up with or adjust, if reinstalled wrong, whilst crusin' around in a much more modern and finer machine. auto Alas, such is life and progress! dance

Thanks again for all the help I got on this issue.
Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
The best way to solve your problem is to stick a roll of toilet paper in your oil filter canister...Don't go over bumps to fast..and last put not least....Put a very large & wide rubber band over your head and then stretch it out enough so you can pull it down to tuck it under your chin so when you hit a bump your jaw wont flap in the breeze so much....ED

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I think you had it right before you adjusted it... Just have the Mrs. get out at every pot hole and slam it for you! Maybe you just need a bigger hood ornament?!

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.