Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
oboy Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I'm trying to get the rear half of the car off have all the nails out and i'm working around the rear windows. there is a board that runs under the sheet metal at the lower part of the window holding it from moving does this board have to be removed some how.

Wake up to learn something new everyday.
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Your confusing me. To remove the Top sheet metal and the rear sheet metal you need to unbolt/unscrew the Body Brackets from the wooden Main Frame that runs from the front of the car to behind the rear wheels. I disconnected mine at the top of the Windshield, the base of the center post and finally the four brackets that hold the rear portion down. Can you tell us more about what your doing?

It's Wise to choose a six!
oboy Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Ok i see what i was trying to do is leave the wood structure complete and just remove the metal.In my mind the complete wood structure was built up and then the metal was put on.But now i know. i have the upper windshield post loose the center unscrewed but were it kicks up in the rear is still bolted to the main sill.So i will unbolt them today.One thing i did do was remove the bolts at the brace that had two rivits fixed to the lowere rear body.I think i should put these back in.Thanks alot that helps a bunch.I bought a body manual a year ago and it's no where to be found.I think harvey the rabbit got it.Looks like in buying a new one.

oboy Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Well got another history lesson today the 31 sedans were put together in three pieces for the rear shell steve from the fs let me know this.So with a little thinking found that you can remove the shell without unwelding or cutting the body.When i removed the two lower boards under the rear windows this let the body spread and slide right back in one piece.I will have to install the boards after i reinstall the body.Should be simple by running a bolt from the inside to hold the rear of the board to the rear window post.

oboy Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Now looking at the metal off the car you can see two welds at the top, right in front of the rear windows. looks like they welded these after the metal was attached to the wood.So there is a total of 4 welds on the outside shell two in the rear two on the long runs to the front hing pillers.Glad i'm not takeing it apart that way.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.