Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The lever moves the plate that the points are screwed to and therefore adjusts the advance/retard.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Good to know - didn't think the housing itself was supposed to move. The fact that it changed the engine speed/smoothness made me think it was operational.

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

Your distributor may be frozen or you may not have the correct distributor.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Thanks for the valuable info, Chipper! Do you have anyone to recommend for refurbishing my carburettors Zenith 04?

Agrin

Solan G, # 32797

Take advantage in your hobby by being member of VCCA!

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Sent you a PM.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Pop the dist cap off and see if the internals move....One question, does your car have a hand emergency brake lever or is it still the foot pedal? Originally it would have had the E brake on what looks like the normal brake pedal. Chevy had a conversion that changed the clutch brake pedal to just a clutch pedal and the ebrake to a normal service brake with the lever doing the parking dutys. If you have the original type, you have to be carefull not to tighten up the brakes too tight as you will be hitting the brakes every time you shift. Half way down is clutch disengage and all the way down is service brake on the same pedal. One thing that is common is a wore out clutch collar which screws up the whole deal. The only way to get the brakes to adjust right is to have that collar in good shape. I had mine welded up with bronze rod and machined down to size which will fit nicely in the collar spool. The collar removes very easily by loosing the locknuts and unscrewing the 2 bolts, Let it spin 90 degrees to 180 and it will drop right out. If it is worn into a wedge looking shape it is wore out. It needs to be the same thickness top to bottom to work right. Any slop translates into impossible to corectly adjusting the brakes. If your carb leaks I can about guarantee you have a worn needle valve or a partially sunken float due to a tiny crack. checking it is very easy. Take the 2 screws out of the top of the bowl and pull the silver pin straight up. The tip should be nice and smooth on the taper. if worn it will have a groove in it. I bet that is what is causing your puddle and black spark plugs. Another cause of black spark plugs and is very common to find is the wrong plugs installed. These engines require long reach plugs. Check the distance from the flat washer to the tip of the electrode and ground strap and let us know what you have. I put Autolite 3077 plugs in mine and it runs slick as a whistle. You can order those from any auto parts store.

Last edited by Bob_Kerr; 10/31/11 04:31 PM.

28 Chevy LO Capitol 1 ton, 28 National 2 dr coach, 71 Chevy Custom Camper 3/4 ton. Also 23 Oldsmobile Economy truck and a 24 Olds sport touring.
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by Bob_Kerr
Pop the dist cap off and see if the internals move....One question, does your car have a hand emergency brake lever or is it still the foot pedal? Originally it would have had the E brake on what looks like the normal brake pedal. Chevy had a conversion that changed the clutch brake pedal to just a clutch pedal and the ebrake to a normal service brake with the lever doing the parking dutys. If you have the original type, you have to be carefull not to tighten up the brakes too tight as you will be hitting the brakes every time you shift. Half way down is clutch disengage and all the way down is service brake on the same pedal. One thing that is common is a wore out clutch collar which screws up the whole deal. The only way to get the brakes to adjust right is to have that collar in good shape. I had mine welded up with bronze rod and machined down to size which will fit nicely in the collar spool. The collar removes very easily by loosing the locknuts and unscrewing the 2 bolts, Let it spin 90 degrees to 180 and it will drop right out. If it is worn into a wedge looking shape it is wore out. It needs to be the same thickness top to bottom to work right. Any slop translates into impossible to corectly adjusting the brakes. If your carb leaks I can about guarantee you have a worn needle valve or a partially sunken float due to a tiny crack. checking it is very easy. Take the 2 screws out of the top of the bowl and pull the silver pin straight up. The tip should be nice and smooth on the taper. if worn it will have a groove in it. I bet that is what is causing your puddle and black spark plugs. Another cause of black spark plugs and is very common to find is the wrong plugs installed. These engines require long reach plugs. Check the distance from the flat washer to the tip of the electrode and ground strap and let us know what you have. I put Autolite 3077 plugs in mine and it runs slick as a whistle. You can order those from any auto parts store.

Bob,

I have a service brake and parking brake lever, not sure if it is a conversion. The car is registered as 1919 but I think it is actually a '20. I tightened the brakes to the point that the brake pedal is no longer the same height as clutch pedal, it is a couple of inches higher. I think the clutch collar has issues as the clutch is noisy when released (out of gear) and quieter when depressed.

The needle valve is definitely worn- what's the solution? 3077 plugs are already on order.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Got the clutch and brakes adjusted and stuck the camera next to me for the ride.
(Excuse the lack of double clutching savvy)

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Looks like you have made some good progress with your clutch and brake adjusting. I hear some gear noise, I hope you have checked the grease in your transmission and rear end.

On a different subject, you might be surprised at your cars ability to slow down and turn a corner then accelerate away without shifting down. Double clutching is easy and fun, just keep practicing.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
You have made solid progress very quickly. Another 490 is touring the roadways. Wonderful! Life is good. Thanks for sharing...

Chevy Guru
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I suspected the gear noise was excessive, will check the trans and rear end tomorrow!

Also, about 5 minutes into the video, when I'm in the alley about to pull into the garage, there is an obvious bucking/surging along with gear noise. Is this normal or something that can be fixed?

Last edited by 490touring; 10/31/11 10:59 PM.
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
According to the casting codes, my cylinder head was cast in February 1919 and the block was cast in Dec. 1919. Is it likely they started life together? Also, in a previous thread several thought my car was later than it's registered year of 1919 due to a look at the chassis. Would a motor with my numbers be more likely to be put in a 1919 or 1920 car? Seems to me like a block cast in Dec. would be in a '20 model.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
A Feb 1919 (2-19) Head would not have been original to a Dec 1919 Block (12-19), no. But Heads were frequently replaced in service.

Are you sure there isn't a "1" hiding faintly in front of the "2" on that February Head date, to make them both a 12-19 date? The block is more likely to be original to the car; and yes, a December casting date block would be a 1920 car. The production lag time between casting date and production (final assembly) normally ran about 6 weeks, plus or minus.

Tell us more numbers - what is the number on the perimter of the Flywheel, if visible?

What is the Car Number on the Four-Ninety plate?

Chevy Guru
ChevyGuru #223455 11/01/11 08:31 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Can't see the flywheel number. Never found a "490" plate, but on the inside firewall is this plate:

[Linked Image from dupontregistry.com]

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

Briggs ???????

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman

1925 Superior K Roadster
1933 Eagle, Coupe

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
That is a strange body tag for a 490. It also looks great for a 91 year old car? Are there any Chevrolet tags?

Gary

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
No other tags I can see. Did Briggs ever produce any bodies for Chevy? A Google search shows mainly Fords made by them.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Looks like you have the conversion. Just adjust the brakes so the work well with the pedal, you shouldn't have to worry about the clutch pedal release/brake engage point like I do on my 490. On the needle valve if it just has a very slight grove, you might get away with chucking it in a drill and carefully dressing up the point with a fine tooth mill bastard file and then 220 sand paper to finnish it out. if the groove is bad, and you try to file the groove out you will change the fuel level in the bowl since the needle valve will be shortend. May have to just find another one. My clutch sounded a bit noisy when releaesd also, and it turned out to be the square end of the trans input shaft was dry. I oiled it up and it has been quiet since. This summer I found out that some of the 1920 490s had a conneicut ignition switch and the key for those is a round knob you pull out and take with you. That knob makes the contact for the igition. there are two knobs on the switch and the other one is for the lights.

28 Chevy LO Capitol 1 ton, 28 National 2 dr coach, 71 Chevy Custom Camper 3/4 ton. Also 23 Oldsmobile Economy truck and a 24 Olds sport touring.
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Bob,
Thanks for the drill tip - never thought of that, certainly worth a try since I don't know anyone with a lathe. The owner of the Carburetor Shop said that the too short needle could be rectified by an extra washer under the seat.

According to the service manual, noise when clutch is released can be the trunnion screws needing adjustment. I'll try that and oiling the shaft you mentioned.

My ignition switch seems to have an ordinary key, however, it does have the headlight switch built in with an extra knob. Do some years have another light switch?

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Seems there are several different ignition switches. The one in my car is a brigs and stratton switch and has a key with notches in the sides and two fork prongs that go straight to the bottom of the key hole. The light switch is the outside part of the key hole and moves independent of the key.

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Hi Bob,

Your unit sounds like the 1925 combination ignition and light switch with a choke rod on the top part.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman

1925 Superior K Roadster
1933 Eagle, Coupe

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
It normally does not take much to true up the needle. It is not necessary to have the sides exactly tapered to a point. The closer the more narrow the seat area and the better the seal.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Ray, I think those 22 or 23?-25s have a lever on them, Mine is just a knob you turn for the lights with the key inthe middle of the knob. There is a little pointer to aim at the stamped markings. My Dads 21 has the same exact switch as my 21. My choke rod is down on the part of the steering column that bolts to the dash

Last edited by Bob_Kerr; 11/04/11 10:34 PM.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by Chipper
It normally does not take much to true up the needle. It is not necessary to have the sides exactly tapered to a point. The closer the more narrow the seat area and the better the seal.

Looks like I won't have to go this route after all- Gary Wallace has the part (needle and seat) and it's on the way.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.