Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#207169 05/19/11 12:55 AM
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Checking out the '40 today I noticed that it has a panel under the rear of the car where the body curves under. I can't see this on any of the pictures I've looked at with bumpers on the cars, and the few I've seen without bumpers, the panel was missing. Is this a stock part? It connects on both sides of the car at the lower fender bolt and has an indented place for the tail pipe. Unfortunately someone added a tow hitch to the car and cut this panel with a torch and bent up pretty badly.

Richard
Waverly, IA
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
From the various info. that I have all 1940 cars came equipped with this stone deflector. I know you seldom see them on cars these days. Most probably got torn off through the years.
Years ago I did find a new one in a dealers old stock area.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Is this the part?
[Linked Image from lh6.googleusercontent.com]
[Linked Image from lh5.googleusercontent.com]
Don

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Originally Posted by donsbigtrucks
Is this the part?
[Linked Image from lh6.googleusercontent.com]
[img]Don

Yeah, that'd be it! Thanks. I'll have to cut mine to get it off, because when they installed the hitch, they cut a hole in it with a torch, stuck the hitch brace through the panel and then welded it to the frame. Looks like it would have been neater and easier to just bend it up in the middle instead.

Richard
Waverly, IA
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Richard,

In addition to bolting to the fenders on either side there are also 5- 1/4" bolts that bolt down thru the bottom of the tool tray & down thru the rock guard. 1/4 - 20 round head machine screws & hex nuts.

Sparky
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Originally Posted by sparky
Richard,

In addition to bolting to the fenders on either side there are also 5- 1/4" bolts that bolt down thru the bottom of the tool tray & down thru the rock guard. 1/4 - 20 round head machine screws & hex nuts.

Thanks. Mine is just held on by the ends and the trailer hitch. When I pull it apart for touch up and paint, I'll figure how to redo it a little more solid. I'm planning to leave the hitch on it, so I'll will modify the gaurd to hang where it belongs. I like to have a hitch on my vehicles; might have to tow a little camper to live in at events.

Richard
Waverly, IA
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Richard,

I told you 1/4" - 20 hex nuts - that is incorrect they are actually 1/4-20 square cage nuts spot welded to the rock guard.

Sparky

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.