Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#194333 01/07/11 02:01 PM
GreggD Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Just had new bearings pressed on my rear axles but I have a question about reassembly. When I took them off originaly they both had been put together differently. On the inside of the axle, is it a bearing washer, then retaining nut, then a retainer that goes around the nut? This is what I believe I understand form the Repair Manual, just need support. Thank you.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
washer, retainer cup out and the nut. Once the nut is tight, you pin it by tapping in a spot where there is a depression. On another note, if you have a chest freezer, you could have used it and the oven to assemble the bearing. Last summer i put the axle in the freezer at -25C and the bearing in the oven at about 300F. Thanks to expansion and contraction they slip together no problem. Let both come to room temperature and continue assembly, and then pack the bearing with grease.

It's not how fast you can go, but how good you look at 20 MPH.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.