Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Chevgene, sorry for the confusion. The gasket I'm talking about is the one used between the filter assy and the oil distributor valve were it mounts to the block.

Ed
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The more solid gasket with the smalller opening goes between the distributor valve and block. The larger opening gasket goes between the original cover and the valve or if a filter is used goes between the filter and the valve.

Gene Schneider
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Thanks Chev Nut. Just didn't know if the gasket provided with the filter was cut the same as the one used with the original oil distributor cover. Apparently it was. Thanks again

Ed
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
My old Checker Auto Parts store (they have changed their name this past year.)always stocked the C3P replacement filter. I have noticed that no one has addressed the efficiency of these filters (Fram or otherwise). When working properly they filter about or less than 1/3 of the oil. They are nice to look at but provide little protection. It is important that you change the oil on a regular basis and not expect any service from the filters. About half the cars I get do not have the oil filter on them and I never put on on--not worth the trouble to me.

Brownie Petersen
TA#69 1949-52 Steel Station Wagons
Chat Group Member
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
While only a by-pass filter all of the oil eventually passes through it.
Back in the '50's we would usually change the filter every 5 or 6000 miles. Under normal driving conditions there would be at least an inch or two of sludge on the bottom of the filter + what was trapped in the element so they do work.
I ran the filter on my '50 about 4000 miles of highway driving. Removed the element and cut it apart and there was next to nothing in the bottom of the filter or stuck to the filtering media.
My '39 does not have a filter and I have never worried about it. Just change oil.
I have opened up the filters on my modern cars after 3000 miles and have found the filtering media to be clean also so I change my filters every 5000 or 6000 miles which is every other oil change.

Last edited by Chev Nut; 10/14/10 06:07 PM.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Better manufacturing processes, paved roads, street sweepers and better lubricant chemistry have all combined to reduce the amount of stuff to be removed from crankcase oil. It means that filters last longer and the reason for the filter in the first place is basically eliminated for the older vehicles. We must all recognize that lubricant systems and requirements for our pre-60s vehicles are vastly different than the vehicles we drive daily.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I also have an InnerLine filter on my '52 Fleetline. It's the standard, version not the tall one. The canister part looks the same, but the "bracket" portion between the canister and the mounting boss is LOOOOONG, in order to get it up above the top of the side engine mounts, and away from the exhaust pipe.

The car, which was bought new by my great uncle, has had one of these filters since day one, and it seems to work pretty good -- certainly as good as the AC and Fram ones, and there are no hoses to leak or burst. As everyone else said, just be sure to get your gaskets properly seated and you'll never have a leak from this filter. BTW, don't forget to replace the washer-sized gasket beneath the head of the center bolt when you reassemble the lid to the canister -- that's the only place I've ever had a leak, and that was my own stupidity since the gasket was probably damn near as old as the car!

Scott Andrews
Dacula, GA
#J25833
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Scott, I've never seen one with the long mounting boss. Think there is a chance you could post a picture or email me one so I/we could see that? I'd like to ad that to my refference material.
Thanks
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Denny,

I can certainly get a picture of the top of the filter as installed in the car, but I don't know if I can get a camera into a position where I can get a decent picture of the lower portion. I do have an old used one (read: still encrusted in filth and not cosmetically restored) I pulled off a junker that I can dig out of storage, though. Let me see what I can do.

Scott Andrews
Dacula, GA
#J25833
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Many, many moons ago, I promised to post a picture of an InnerLine oil filter for '52 and '53. The subject came up again on another site, which jogged my memory regarding this thread! Anyway. I hope these pictures post. The first shows the gunked-up spare I have on my parts shelf, while the second shows one of these filter units installed on my '52 216:
http://s569.photobucket.com/user/ScottAndrews/media/spare-filter_zpsm9ffbzyy.jpg.html

[Linked Image from i569.photobucket.com]

http://s569.photobucket.com/user/ScottAndrews/media/installed-filter_zpsxehsfipl.jpg.html

[Linked Image from i569.photobucket.com]
Also, I tracked down a direct interchange for one of the replacement filters listed on the decal -- a Baldwin P73, which is still sold today as a diesel fuel filter.

Last edited by Bill Barker; 07/10/15 08:12 PM. Reason: LInks fixed

Scott Andrews
Dacula, GA
#J25833
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Just for information, I recently saw the decals on EBay. Mike

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
"Your's truly" created the art master used to make that decal! bigl

When I picked up the NOS filter unit some 20 odd years ago, it was shelf-worn and the decal, while intact was starting to flake. At that time, no one made a reproduction, and I knew that no one ever would, mainly because the low demand wouldn't justify the set-up labor.

Being a draftsman, I made some 5X enlargements on a Photostat camera and then inked out the artwork necessary to create a three-color decal. I then shopped the idea around to several decal makers until a place in Lawrenceville, GA agreed to produce the decal in exchange for ownership of the art master. The same place did the '49-'54 radiator overflow decal off of the NOS unit I had purchased.

Scott Andrews
Dacula, GA
#J25833
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.