Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
buckeye Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Does anyone know where I can find a thermosat housing for my 32 confederate.

I'm using antifreeze and having trouble with foaming and over heating.

The car is being operated at 9000 ft and water boils at about 180 degrees at this elevation.

I'm hoping that a thermosat will help with the over heating

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Your problem is more likely air being drawn in past the shaft on the water pump. It is a common problem and occurs even when not water or coolant leaks out.

You can add a modern thermostat between the standard outlet and head. Just get one for a modern V-8 Chevy. I recommend a 180 deg but 160 is okay too. It will partially pressurize the cooling passages in the head and block reducing the foaming while the engine is running.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
buckeye, where are you operating, dillon or vicinity? my 32 is a former colorado car, but at half that altitude.

chipper, once again, you answer a question i was about to ask. can i put a thermostat in the outlet casting, or do i have to have an adapter?

they don't make em like they usedta
buckeye Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you for the information
Buckeye

buckeye Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I'm above BlaCKHAWK, MY HOME IS ACTUALLY AT 10,900
FT

Buckeye

buckeye Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
If I understand this right, I can use the original housing and put a late model V8 THERMOSAT in.

The original housing does not have a recess machined in for the thermosat to set in.

How do I keep it from leaking if the housing does not set flat and sets up on the thermosat, because there is no recess for the thermosat to set into.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The thickness of the gasket and thinness of the thermostat permit a leak free installation. Besides some of the heads have a small recess that the thermostat will fit right into.

If you are worried you can cut a shallow groove or add a second gasket cut to accept the thermostat.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
buckeye Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you for the reply,I will give it a try.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
blackhawk. wow.

do you have a heater and if so, where is your return hose hooked in? i looked at mine again, and i have a block about one inch thick that has a groove for a thermostat and a fitting for the heater return hose.

the way my return was done when dad bought the car in 1946 was to braze in a fitting in the lower steel elbow fitting.

they don't make em like they usedta
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello all,

With a liquid cooled engine, the thermostat allows the engine to reach it's operational temperature as quickly as possible and to maintain it under all operating conditions.
This is particularly important for the service life, the fuel consumption and the exhaust gas development of the combustion engine.
The temperature of the coolant increases, from its entry into the cylinder block, until it reaches the cylinder head.
The liquid cooling should take up the engine heat through the coolant, and release it, through the radiator, into the open.
The engine temperature should ideally be very constant, the circulation pump cooling helps to avoid component-critical temperatures in all parts of the engine.
Also the cylinders which are not in the vicinity of the pump, are cooled to the same extent.

In my opinion it's not a good idea closing the single coolant circuit with a closely tight thermostat, specifically by a cold motor.
The opening temperature of thermostats is determined for the respective cooling system, the temperature was previously set at 80°C, nowadays 90°C and more are achieved. - remember, in modern cars we have a primary and secondary coolant circuit -

The only way, without changing the shape of an old motor, is using a thermostat with a short circuit.
( e.g bypass, hole, gap in the thermostat - >> controlling the motor temperature by coolant flow and not by conduction of heat ! )

Thus prevents, if using a thermostat in a single circuit cooling system, the sudden cooling down of one or more cylinders and avoid component-critical temperatures in all parts of the engine.

Have a nice day

buckeye Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
The return goes to a fitting in the lower radiator hose and I have no grove for the thermosat in the housing

buckeye Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic

The heater return goes to a fitting in the lower radiator hose.

THERE IS NO GROOVE FOR THE THERMOSAT IN THE HOUSING .

buckeye Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Sorry I sent the reply to the wrong peraon

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
You can edit your postings for up to one hour after they are posted.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.