Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Looking at getting a new set of tires on a 47 sedan.
I've done a lot of searching on the net and this site. Basically the options are 1) bias ply from either Coker or Diamondback,2) Radials from either Coker or Diamondback ( I saw the post on the 37-42 site about the tread pattern on the Diamondback radial treads being too chunky but this is a driver so I'm not too concerned!).

All of Coker's tires say tubes required. I'm not sure if this is a method of selling tubes or really required. It adds about $35 per tire for a radial that is already $212

The Diamondbacks are tubeless ( yay) but run about $200 (ouch)
Here is the spec on the 195/75R16
Height 27.7 tread width 5.6 section width 7.6

Here is the option that I have found with a big 'but'

Bridgestone Ecopis EP-02
195/80R16
Height 28.2 Tread width 4.8 Section width 7.7 load rating 1609
These were made for the Rav 4 as an eco friendly tire they are rated to 44psi and supposed to have low rolling resistance, ( same psi as the old bias ply)

the but problem?
the minimum rim width is 5.5 and , as you know , I have 4" rims.

Did a search for rim width issues snd the best explanation i found was on the Dunlop site which suggests the following:
1) the tire height remains the same regardless of rim width
2) going outside the recommended rim width changes the stress/flex point of the sidewall, In the case of the smaller rim, it moves it towards the shoulder of the tire.
4) narrower rims actually decrease the section width
3) not surprisingly there is a disclaimer about potential mayhem should the design parameters be exceeded. In addition to tire failure , the are discussions about excessive sidewall rolling while cornering for the too narrow rim combination.

Has anyone tried these tires?
Any thoughts on the rim width issue? this car sees maximum 1000 miles s a year. light loads and max 50 MPH

Final note. $120.00 CDN per tire at Costco. With the current sale, 127.00 installed, balanced taxes and levies.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Brad,
I would forget tires other than the Firestone and Goodrich (F or G). Radials, too. You're be much happier with just a set of Fs or Gs whitewalls. I think.

Anyway, because you only get to drive it 1K a year and the life of a tire is around 7 years, then you do have a point. Remember, as someone once told me, money is just a detail. Grin.

Best wishes on making the decisions that you will be most pleased with over time,
Charlie

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I would forget the radials and go with a set of Firestones or Goodrich. I have had excellent results with the bias tires and have much ore trust in them after they are over 10 years old than I would have with the radials. If your front suspension and steering is "tight" (not worn out) the car will handle as good as it would have with radials.

Gene Schneider
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for the suggestions.

Did a little more research on the General offered by Diamondback.
From what I can find on the General website, the Diamondback tire has minimum rim width of 5" ( unless they are ordering a custom tire)
I'm probably leaning towards just sucking it up and getting the bias ply's. just don't want to find out the hard way that I should have spent another $200.
I do find the comment about the potential cornering hazard somewhat amusing. I really don't see it as a risk given how I drive the car.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The Diamondback tires are stock radial tires and the "bake" the white wall onto the tire. In my mind they are better tires than the radials made for just old cars.
Radials do have a shorter life in regards to the tread peeling off at high speeds when they get older. I have gottten 20 and 25 years out of bias with not problems and I do a lot of long trips at higher speeds

Gene Schneider
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Just bought a set of the Goodrich silver towns bias plys 600x16. They look FANTASTIC, and drive really nice.(BEAUTIFUL WHITEWALL on them)Firstones almost imposible to find in stock anywhere now. (so they told me) I did not like the coker classics I bought about 4 years ago.

"Heaven is Driving my 47"
With that "GOOD GULF" gasoline.
http://www.gulfhistory.org/?

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.