Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#178052 07/16/10 10:14 AM
goffe Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
My restored '32 coupe w/trunk has a new interior kit. I'd call it a decent amateur job. I didn't do it or I'd know more about it. My problem is that a couple of the buttons on the seat back have loosened up and I want to tighten them up so they look like the others. While I can get the seat cushion out fine, I can't seem to get the seat back out without doing more damage. Maybe I should try to take the whole seat out frame and all. If so, what is the best way or is there another approach to getting access to the area behind the seat back? Going in through the trunk doesn't look good since there is a liner in place and the seat frame has a solid back (or does it?)

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
If there are only a couple that are loose I would take the car by a local upholstery shop and let them use their seat hooks that they use. After my 31 coupe was done a couple of the buttons came loose. I took it to the guy that did the job and in five minutes they were back in place. They might not even charge you. I would think about this before you get in to deep. Good luck with it.

Sal Orlando
Chat Group Region Member
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
goffe,

The seat back cushion is tacked to the entire wood frame. The wood seat frame is open and has wood braces in the back. With luck the buttons you need to access are visible. When I did my coupe I covered the entire rear of the wood backrest with cloth. You may have a similar cover on your backrest.

You may be able to get to the button strings and clips thru the trunk but you will have to remove the cardboard liner. That liner will certainly get damaged during the process.

I would carefully remove the entire seat assembly (get a helper) and place it on a bench to re-attach or tighten the buttons. at that time you can address any other slight problems with the fabric, since you say it is a "decent ameteur" job.

With my "decent ameteur" job that I did, I would find something that needed another tack to tighten it up.

RayG

Chat Group Chapter Member
Current rides;
1968 Camaro rs/SS 350 4spd
2000 Blazer LT
2005 Malibu Maxx
2007 Acura TDX
Last total restoration;
1932 Sport Coupe

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.