Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
How do i get my exauhst to not smell so much of gas. I adjust the air and fuel screws and it gets worse. Even blows black smoke till i take them back to where they were. I need my truck to pass emissions, how do i get that to happen. Thank you again.

im listening because somebody always knows more than I.
Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The gas smell is most likely due to too much gas and to little air in the air-fuel mixture. Is the float level set too high? Are the metering jets the correct size for your engine? Is the engine timed correctly? If the air:gas mixture is not right and the mixture does not burn correctly then the emissions will suffer.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
the jets are correct but ill mess with the floats some. I tried adjusting the gas air screws with no satisfaction but i will mess with the floats now. Thank you very much chipper

im listening because somebody always knows more than I.
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
If the air adjustment screws don't affect the idle then there is a problem somewhere. Are you sure that the low speed jets are properly seated and gas is not bypassing them? Is there an internal gap that allows excess gas to pass. Are the throttle plates centered in the bores?

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.