Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have posted a few times with only a small response to each. I am young and new to this. I have a 71 k 5 blazer and am not scared to get my hands dirty thats how u learn by doing it, i find so many just too scared to try but when i run into problems i seek advice. So far i rebuilt the carb, changed plugs, blew the gasline out oiled the pistons, checked the timing. Then i turned the key, took a little bit but she started and ran. Now i have more problems, The truck idles very high and gets up to like 15mph. I press the brake and it feels like its still giving gas. I had a little backfiring and the choke doesnt seem like its working right. I start it and it runs fine till i give it gas then it just seems to stay reving very high. Can anybody help me out or give me some advice. Really appreciate it

im listening because somebody always knows more than I.
Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

Have you tried adjusting the idle screw on the carburetor? Sounds like it is set for too fast idle.

devil Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
i only trird adjusting the air and gas screws on the carb and nothing happens

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Did you say you hit the brake and the engine sped up. To me that sounds like vacuum leak and perhaps something set too rich.

It's not how fast you can go, but how good you look at 20 MPH.
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
First thing you need to to is take the air cleaner lid off and watch the choke plate as the engine warms up and see if it opens, if not there my not be enough heat from the exhaust getting to crossover passage in the manifold. It was common for the heat passage to plug with carbon on higher mileage motors. That should have the choke spring on the manifold and you can feel by the spring and see if it gets hot as the engine warms up. Also check the heat riser valve to see that it free. If the choke opens then your fast idle cam may be binding, or the screw set to fast.

Dens Chevys 1927 Speedster 1928 coupe 1941street rod 1947Fleetline 4 door 1949 1/2 ton Pickup (sold) 1954 210 4 door 1972 Monte Carlo 2003 Corvette convt..
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Are you sure that you have the carburetor back together correctly? There is a cam on the choke/throttle linkage that sets the fast idle when the choke is on. When the engine warms that cam rotates to reduce the idle speed. Your description of the problems highly suggests the choke/idle cam is not working properly.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
OK i did check it and i did not have a cable on correctly. After that i checked it and was a ble to set the fast idle cam correctly, yay. I now am noticing a loud click click click click from the motor. Could this be a pully on the fan or something? My truck is starting to become a beast again thanks to all your help on here. I notice that its running extremely rich though, my plugs are completely fouled in gas. But i was running it with bad gas from somewhere at first. How do i get my exauhst to smell better? lol funny question i think.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.