Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#167591 03/10/10 03:41 PM
wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
Here's the problem.
I've got about the right amount of investment in my ole 38 coupe to get my money back out, if I sold it(not counting labor of course).
The fenders on my ole car have a few scratches and need painting. I can do the entire car for about $6k or do the fenders and running boards for $1500. If I do the fenders and running boards only it would have to be in black because I could never match the 20 yr old paint. I've seen green body and black fenders on trucks and many ole cars and I like it.
I know the passenger 38 chevy did not come in two tone but the trucks did. Whata think about a two tone and staying where I can sell if needed.

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
I think there are few of us that could get the money back out that we've put into our cars.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I could!! So far I've invested in a cup holder for my Timmies and two new licence plate bolts. Of course I don't think a million dollars would pry it out of my hands! Cars passed down the family lines are a whole different ballgame. I guess that's why I look at your post and think, "Sell it...are you crazy??"!!

Last edited by brewster; 03/10/10 04:41 PM.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Is that $1500 vs $6000 to paint it yourself or to have it done? The reason I ask is because I painted my '36 1/2 ton myself back in about 1975 and don't remember the materials being that expensive.

I've heard that some of the refinishing materials are really pricey now, though.

I have a '71 Dodge van that I bought new and it would be nice to repaint it. Maybe the paint itself will cost more than the old van is worth, even though it's a beloved member of the family by now.

Ray
wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
That's the price for a good paint job at a local paint shop, if I take everything apart first.

Remove fenders,running boards ,hood, lights ,etc.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Have you considered doing it yourself? I was very unsure of my ability to paint my '36. One of my friend's dad, who was a very experienced body and paint man, said to me in about 1975 "You won't learn any younger".

Those seemed like words of wisdom so I gave it a try. I called various manufacturers of paints and air spray equipment and asked for any how-to literature they had. They responded generously.

Like you I took off the fenders and running boards then had at it with a Sears 1 HP compressor and a Binks Model 69 spray gun, a small gun suited to my small compressor.

I started on the small stuff like wheels and headlight buckets. Next were rear fenders then fronts then the pickup box and finally the cab. Incredibly, the slow careful approach produced a result good enough for first place in Class T-2 ('29-'36 Commercial Vehicles) at the 1976 VCCA National Meet in Colorado Springs after being driven there from California and competing against the trailer queens.

So, that's a long winded way of saying don't underestimate yourself. If you give me your email address I'll send you a picture showing that it still looks OK today.

Ray
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
36 1/2 ton,

I plan on getting the body on my '49 ready myself with the help of some grandkids and then let my son-in-law who has a cabinet shop do the spraying. Did you do yours inside a building or outside on a quite day like some do? My shop doesn't have the best of ventilation so I'm leary of mist falling back on the car. Thanks.

I think I'm a fairly wise person because I'm smart enough to realise I'm not too bright.
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
36 1/2 ton,

I plan on getting the body on my '49 ready myself with the help of some grandkids and then let my son-in-law who has a cabinet shop do the spraying.

Jerry, in my case "Getting the body ready" consisted of straightening the metal then spraying on then block sanding off what seemed like gallons of red oxide primer. Spraying on the color was the quickest part of the process. It must be prepped to perfection because the color coat cannot be any better than what is underneath. Block sanding is an absolutely essential part of the process. Any shortcuts taken will show up in the finished color coat.

Did you do yours inside a building or outside on a quite day like some do? My shop doesn't have the best of ventilation so I'm leary of mist falling back on the car.

I did it in my 2-car garage. I mounted a large squirrel cage fan in one of the window openings to blow all of the overspray outside. It was primitive but it worked.

Obviously painting one's own car is not for everybody, but it sure creates a feeling of accomplishment.

Ray
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Thanks 36 1/2 ton, My shop is bigger than a 2 car garage so we'll most likely do it in there. The body on the '31 in my Avatar was done in a body shop because of the shape the body was in , it needed a pro to do it. Will be getting back to you and others on this site. Just want this one to be a Grandpa-Grandkids project.

I think I'm a fairly wise person because I'm smart enough to realise I'm not too bright.
wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
Love to see it....wawuzit@comcast.net

Last edited by wawuzit; 03/11/10 08:07 AM.
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Painting the car will likely not increase the sales price enough to be a good choice. You might look for a good touch up artist(like the ones that service used car dealers)to match and blend in paint repairs. Old cars can be a rewarding hobby, but not so much for monetary gain. It is mostly about the love of old cars and the opportunity for sharing your interest with other old car nuts.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
If you are going to sell the car I would leave it alone and let the new owner decide what he wants to do regarding the paint and etc. The more money you spend on the car the less you will get back in return.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
I really want to keep the car forever...but, my general rule of life is not to get upside down where money is envolved. I think I'll be conservative and just repaint the fenders and running boards. I'd like the car to stay somewhat in the black column. It's tempting to go all out, but I guess not.
I've found out over the years dealing with Corvettes that when you spend big bucks on aftermarket stuff or even GM add stuff ,you'll more than likely lose out money wise if you decide to sell.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
That's why I calculate stuff in Dollars per smiles...
(the technical formula is $/ bigl= carrot)

Last edited by brewster; 03/11/10 12:21 PM.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
It's like being in a candy store. How much is to much? GRIN

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
If you consider painting it yourself buy an old fender or hood out of a salvage yard to practice on first. Shooting paint is easy. Shooting paint well and knowing what to do when something goes wrong takes experience. Shooting metallic well can be downright difficult if you don't know what you're doing. Just an FYI.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Generally, there are three ways to enjoy your car.

a. Show it, pamper it and drive it minimally. Get a trailer, perhaps. Have it judged. Fun.
b. Drive it a little with the idea that you are going to show it but not enter it in serious competition. More fun.
b. Drive it whenever you feel like it. Take it to shows/meets. Merely, put up a velvet rope some 20 feet all around it. Okay, okay. I know. I know. Cost. Use some yellow police tap instead. Whole lot more fun.

It has been said that you can't drive it and keep it too. That is: enter it in shows/competitions/judging (pick one) condition and drive it at will at the same time. I know there are exceptions to this loose rule of thumb but it seems to work out that way with Chevrolets especially. That's owing to the engine mostly because it is subject to becoming unpresentable in short order. The paint will soon burn off the exhaust manifold and oil will start coating the rest of the engine from the very first time you put oil in it and fire it up.

You're worried about a few scratches. You're gonna be more conscious of them than anyone else. I say drive that sucker, don't worry so much about the bottom line (read money) and have some fun.

Best, Charlie

BTW: The wheels look to me like you stole 'um. Get some green paint and fix 'um up to match the body. Then simply maintain it. (Just a suggestion. What do I know?)

BTW2: Don't all of you jump on me at once. Please!

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Wawzit
Like you my truck has cost me very little and possibly actually more than paid for itself at this stage but that is about to end with a long way to go.
I say enjoy your car and forget how many $$$ you have spent doing so.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
The rims will soon be painted to match the fendes and running boards...or I might buy new artillery rims in black and get rid of my old tires and get new ones ( the old ones look like new as far as the tread goes,but are scratched up on the side walls).

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
b. Drive it whenever you feel like it. Take it to shows/meets. Merely, put up a velvet rope some 20 feet all around it. Okay, okay. I know. I know. Cost. Use some yellow police tap instead. Whole lot more fun.

I agree with 41specialdeluxe

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.