Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I'm building a 57 Chevy convertible as close to "original" as I can. What would be a correct serial number to look for to mate up with this car's original 220 hp 3spd w/ od. Would the correct carb be a carter? Would a 57 chevy covertible have a rear seat radio speaker? Where would speaker be correctly located? I've got the correct rear seat speaker switch to go with my wonderbar radio. I'm looking for a good tuner for another wonderbar radio I inadvertantyly bought with water damage in the radio...............Thanks joeyk3950 snagglepussj@yahoo.com (correct block number is what I'm looking for}

Last edited by joeyk3950; 03/01/10 01:54 PM.

Joseph Patrick James Kearney
Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The block casting number will be 3731548. These are the raised numbers that are on the left s side behind the head. All 1957 8 cyl blocks will have this number only.
The engine serial number is on the right side, just infront of the head.
The number could begin with aaaaaaaaaaaa F for Flint or a T for tonawanda. The next numbers would be the date the engine was made 1019 would be the 10th month -19th day for example. The last letters for a 220 HP O.D. engine would be EC.
All sticks with a 4Bbl had Cater carbs. The aotimatic could have either.
The accessory installation manual has instruction for a closed car only for the speaker.

To get all the facts order the following books from .....www.fillingstation.com.....Accessory installation manual, The book "How to Restore Your 1957 Chevrolet "...it covers the convertible and has all the "numbers" as well as any other 1957 material they have. Will be the best $100 you ever spent on the restoration.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
My similar '57 had a Carter WCFB four barrel carb.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.