Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
The clips (retainer clips) that hold the wiper blade actuator arms to the 'transmission' of the wiper motor came off on my 1949 Chevy 4400 (ton and a half). Both of them. I found them on the floor so I still have them. I can reach up under the dash and feel the situation, but of course I can't see it.

The arms that operate the wipers connect to the wiper motor under the dash and 'behind' the wiper motor. These clips keep the actuating arms attached to the wiper motor. When the retainer clips fall off, so do the actuator arms and then the wipers don't work.

Does anyone have an idea how to re-attach the actuator arms to the wiper motor without pulling everything out of the dash et cetera? Any ideas are welcome!

Lee

"It ain't what a man don't know that bothers me, it's what he knows that just aint so", Will Rogers
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
The 2 clips that you found on the floor should be held together by a spring about one inch long. You just place the one clip on the end of the arm at the wiper motor and stretch the spring and place the other clip on the opposite arm. I hope this helps.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
You can get at the link under the dash, it’s a pain with the shifter, brake and peddles in the way but it can be done. I agree with Cleon, it sounds like you’ve lost the spring that ties the two clips together. Here is a picture of the link, which is stocked by all the vendors for a few pennys: http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/118509317/original
And this is the link for the on/off switch: http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/118509309/original
If you want reliable wipers don't forget to check that the transmissions are free in the bearing that attachet to the cowl and that the rivets that connect the linkage is not to sloppy or just the opposite, bound up.
Hope this helps.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

Great pictures, they tell the complete story.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Jeepers, Denny, how'd you get those great pictures!? You must have tied a camera on a small rodent and put a peanut up in there somewhere!.

Many thanks,

Lee

"It ain't what a man don't know that bothers me, it's what he knows that just aint so", Will Rogers
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Nope, just me stuffed up under there Lee. I had to call my "big old wife" out to pry me out from under the dash when I was finished with it.
Did you order a new link retainer, get the new grommets also?
DG

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thank you, Denny. I have not ordered the link retainer (grommets?) - I still have the originals.... what happened was the spring came off of one of the retainers. I have all the pieces and was going to put it back after I understood why it came off (I know now). Where do the grommets go? From your posts, they must be part of the link retainer system.

I found roughly half of a grommet on the floor mat near the retainer clips, but had no idea where it came from. That kind of stuff just 'appears' around old machines.

The clips and spring are intact. I have re-assembled them and have them oriented correctly for installation (there is a 'right-side-up' as can be seen in your photo).

Can I get one of those 'generic' grommets - do you think that would work?

Lee

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.