Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
I’m making a lever removal and replacer tool for the SM420 transmission, and I’ve got a question on the pressed tin cover in the picture. This doesn’t get pushed down along with the shift lever does it? http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/117615420
The manual mentions engaging the lugs of the K353 in the retainer and twisting left. is the tin part in the picture the retainer that they are talking about??? And I don’t see any open slot on the retainer that is mentioned either. The picture in the shop manual is not completely clear.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
this is what you're dealing with. the retainer pushes on a coil spring that holds the shifter in place

[Linked Image from i244.photobucket.com]

providing it's not too gunked up no tool is needed. I've used channel looks laying on their side to push and twist

Chevrolet

Valve In Head, Ahead In Value
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
I made a removal tool for the shift lever retainer style shown in Dads 31 picture. I used a piece of hard wood 1" thick, 3" wide, and 10 to 12 inches long. Using a hole saw with an outside diameter the same as the larger diameter of the retainer, a circle cut approximately 1/8" deep was made. Using a second hole saw, having an outside diameter equal to the diameter of the crowned section at the shoulder and using the same pilot hole from the first cut, a hole was drilled completly through the wood. Removed the gear shift knob. Inserted the wood block over the shift lever and positioned it against the top of the retainer. With a hand on each end of the wood block, pushed downward while turning counter clock wise unseating the retainer. Reinstalled the retainer using the same wooden block.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I have a Kent-Moore removal tool around some place. Found it is harder to find where I put it versus pushing down and turning with board with hole for the shift lever and a couple of nails to fit into open slots. Don't know where the board is either. Probably used it for something else.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Thanks Dad, that's just exactly what I needed to know. I couldn't envision how the bottom of the retainer locked into the pins now it's crystal clear.
Chipper, I suspect that's how the retainer in the picture got the corners boogered up the last time. You didn't happen to be up in Gray, Iowa working on a red 3/4-ton truck sometime ago did you Chip???? Just pullin' you leg guy.
I like making up the special tools. Sometimes it's just hard for me to get all the views I need to complete the picture.
I've already drawn up the Kent-Moore tool that Tim Leaderman posted. It’s a nice clear picture of the business end with the lugs and with the one that Dad posted of the retainer, so that completes the picture.
All I gotta do tomorrow is spend a little time at the lathe and mill and I can add special tool number K353 to my box.
Thanks guys,
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.