Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#150186 08/19/09 05:34 PM
jimk Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Just a heads up guys,
I just had a bad experience with Jim Carter Antique Truck Parts today - the first time in over 15 years of doing business with them!
If you happen to order parts from them, watch out if any itema are backordered. Everytime a backordered item is shipped you get billed for the shipping. Since almost 1/3 of the items I odered had to be backordered, they "absorbed" one of the items I bought to pay for all the shipping charges - this was on top of the $38 of shipping fees I had already paid at the time of the initial order! The whole thing cost me an additional $50 for shipping! When I asked them about I was told I was just one of those customer that cannot be happy!
I guess I've been spoiled by all the great service I've had at the Filling Station
For what it's worth...

Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I'm a little confused which is not hard to do. You say they absorbed one of the items you bought to cover the shipping charges, but you also state they charged an additional $ 50.00 over and above the $ 38.00. Does this mean that they charged you seperate shipping on each of the backordered items as they came in or did they waive the additional shipping charges by not charging you for an item?
Richard

I try to be the person my dog thought I was.
jimk Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Sorry for the confusion.
I received part of my order then they charged me shipping for each backordered item as it was shipped out (one piece at a time). The total shipping kept growing until it exceeded the original amount I sent in for shipping, plus the cost of one of the items I already paid for (that was also backordered) plus more on top of that. This was a circus. I have never heard of any business collecting for shipping charges the time the order was taken, backordering the parts, and then charging the customer more shipping fees because they didn't have the parts in stock.
Lessons learned I guess.
Jim

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I have done business with Jim Carter's for years and have always found them to be reasonable. I agree that your situation is unacceptable!! I would contact Jim by e-mail or telephone and explain the situation. No company will survive that style of customer service. Backorders happen, but they should hold all backorders and ship one time, if customer agrees, cancel order or absorb the shipping ,IMHO.
Richard

I try to be the person my dog thought I was.
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Unfortunately, they're not the only ones with this practice. Chevs of the 40s now charges you separately for shipping each time one of your backordered parts get shipped to you. As you note, if there are a number of backordered items, this can involve 2-3 different shipments with shipping billed for each one. I believe you can ask them to hold all your parts until they are all available to avoid the additional shipping charges, but that can potentially delay your whole order for quite a while.

Dale Carter
VCCA #8661
1948 Fleetmaster Convertible
1948 RHD Stylemaster Sedan Delivery
1948 1-Ton Tow Truck
1967 Camaro Coupe
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I had to tell Chevs of the 40s if any part is back ordered let me know before shipping,I would order only one part I actually needed but found others I can use to make the order worth paying shipping costs but usually the part I need is the only one back ordered and I get the stuff I could live without.

VCCA #45194
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
What I do is e-mail one of the four places ( f/s, 40's' os,and I&I TO see witch one has all the parts I need. I also let each one know if they don't have all my needs, i'll be checking with other vendors to get a complet order. Most of the time I can get a complete order....

p.k.

1956 BEL AIR 2 DOOR HARDTOP

I've spent most of my money on Booze,Women and mechanical things. The rest I just Wasted........

Remember , I'm not Always Right. But I'm Never Wrong !
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
hi. i just came across your post because i was searching for some aftermarket truck parts that i can maybe use.. since i am here might as well ask if anyone might know where else i can find one on the internet to compare? thanks.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
What parts are you looking to find?

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.