Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#148883 08/03/09 04:23 PM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Hi everybody here.
Bought an original chevrolet car heater 1931 for my Chevy Independence 1931 at ebay.com.

Began to restore it now to add it to my car, but I dont understand why the fan motor does not run with 6 volt system. Everything looks original and untouched at the heater I bought. And 1931 there were all cars with 6 volt system, so how it is possible it is a 12 volt motor there? I did check the brushes, they are good. As well the armature. The bearings were good too, just dry. I did lube it, the rotor turns easy now. It should work and blow with 6 volt I guess, but it does not. Connecting with 12 volt gives a good blow without overheating the motor, so I think 12 volt is the correct voltage for this motor. I am really confused about that miracle.
Other question: As I understand the construction, the fan should suck the air through the honeycom radioator on bottom of the heater and blow out the heated air at front. But, correctly connected, mine is working opposite, sucking the air on top and blowing out at bottom. That cannot be ok I guess.
Any ideas about my questions?
Thanks, Stefan from germany

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I do not know about the motor but my 31 heater blows the hot air out of the bottom. Some of the heaters that I have seen pictures of have a deflector on the bottom that blows the air to one side. Mine just blows it straight down. Hope this will help.

Sal Orlando
Chat Group Region Member
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
give the motor a real good inspection. If you are lucky it will have the voltage stamped on the case. it sounds like it is 12V

Chevrolet

Valve In Head, Ahead In Value
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
eBay strikes again!

Anyway, as 1931Sal stated, the air blows out the bottom of the heater, not the front of the heater.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.