Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
radar Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Just now putting the Impala back on the road after 23 years of delay!! Checking the drip pan under the car I found a lot on motor oil and transmission fluid. The motor had leaked out about l 1/2 quarts and the tran fluid was over 3 quarts low. I filled up both items and started the car. After running for about 10 minutes, I turned off the motor. The next day, there was new oil and transmission fluid in the drip pan. I started the Impala again and drove it arround the block. I stopped and checked for leaks again, but didn't see any. Will the seals stop leaking for the most part or will I need to reseal both items??

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Its more a matter of the oil that has seeped out over the long period of time getting dripped and blown off. If you take any old car and let it sit over winter as an example you will find oil dripping from various places. The Power Glide is the most common. When the PG sits for a few months without the engine being run the torque converter leaks down (normal) and over fills the sump. The fluid than is much above the "normal" level and will leak out of the selector shaft seal and the kick-down lever shaft seal.

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.