Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#14508 09/07/05 08:49 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
My radiator core support was corroded beyond recognition on the bottom. Could someone provide an exploded view of this core support and the radiator bracket below it? I am uncertain how the support and bracket fit with each other.

Also, My notes indicate the crank support, fender support bracket, front apron, and radiator bracket all stack upon the other. Is this the correct order from top down, or does the apron go below the radiator bracket?

My notes also indicate a 1/4" thick strip of rubber was below the radiator bracket. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Steve

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

#14509 09/07/05 10:25 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
please send me an e-mail so I can send you pictures. I gave you my address yesterday. Paul

paul orednick
305 canal st
lemont Il
#14510 09/09/05 04:11 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Paul:
Thank you for the pictures, but it does not answer my question. Could someone address my original posting? Thank you.

#14511 09/15/05 08:04 AM
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Steve!
Well my radiator bracket was like yours. I ended up making a replacement from 20 gage galvanized sheet metal. It's easy to figure out how the old piece fit. If memory serves me correctly, have a sheet metal shop make the piece for you. My "patch" was 18" long and was bent to accomadate the radiator core thickness of 1.5 inches. So what I had made was a 1.5" channel 1/4" deep 18" long. Then cut notches in the channel lips so you can form the channel to follow the radiator core. Using the clasp attachment portion of the rotted out bracket (assuming you have them), weld the clasp piece to your patch and weld up the notched corners. Be careful not to get too much weld penetration in the corners otherwise you'll need to grind the inside of the 1/4" lips to allow the bracket to slip on. Make sure you don't have any weld splatter or burrs that may rub against the radiator and cause a wear through leak situation.
Finally, I sandblasted and Por15'ed the whole thing and you cannot see the patch.

I'd take photos, but that would mean taking the radiator back out of the car - well I hope you understand.

#14512 09/15/05 11:09 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Jim
I understand completely. I have done just what you said. The clasp attachment is near the top, so they were intact. I added a rubber pad between the lower tank and the fabricated rail. Assembled it tonight, and seems to fit. I do appreciate your response. When working on stuff that is rotted away, sometimes it is difficult to envision what was there originally. From your reply I can take comfort in knowing that what I did is near correct.

#14513 09/16/05 06:14 AM
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Steve,
I'm glad that helped!
Good luck with your project.
Jim

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.