Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#143726 05/19/09 10:15 PM
Chipper Offline OP
ChatMaster - 15,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 15,000
This is also posted in the 1912-28 Forum

Fellas,
I have an interesting problem. I am using 10W-30 oil in my '28 Coupe. It has about 15 lbs oil pressure at idle cold and 25+ lbs at higher speeds. The gauge needle is steady as a rock. As the oil heats up the pressures drop to about 5 lbs idle and 15-20 at speed. None of that is the problem. However as the oil heats up the pressure gauge needle begins to slowly vibrate and then when the engine is fully heated vibrates so much you can't tell the high pressure. At idle it is steady. What is the cause? Any ideas?

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Did you try another gauge to see if the problem still persists?

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Chipper Offline OP
ChatMaster - 15,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 15,000
Not yet. If it is the gauge why is it steady as a rock when the oil is cold?

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Hey, it's a Chevrolet! You should know by now that vintage Chevrolets do goofy things at times.....and for apparent no reason.

bigl bigl bigl drink drink

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
the valve in the oil distributor fluttering?

Chevrolet

Valve In Head, Ahead In Value
Chipper Offline OP
ChatMaster - 15,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 15,000
That is another thought I had but was trying to eliminate the easier and cheaper to fix possibilities first. It take removing the pan to check the oil distributor valve on a '28.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Chipper,

I don't think you need to remove the oil pan to inspect the oil distributor valve. Simply remove the oil lines from the "T" brass fitting in the block below the carburetor. (Leave the smaller single outlet brass fitting in place as it will retain the housing in place and there's nothing under it anyway, just a passageway) Below the "T" brass fitting there's a 9/16" hex on the fitting, hold it while loosening the large 1 1/4 jam nut. once it's loose simply remove the whole fitting assembly using the 9/16 fixed hex on the fitting. Don't loose the copper washer under the 1 1/4 nut. Once the fitting is removed the spring/valve assembly will lift right out. I'd be surprised if you find anything.

Chipper Offline OP
ChatMaster - 15,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 15,000
Oldie,
Thanks for the information. I will try it if the air bleeding does not work. When I cleaned the internal oil lines I took the valve apart inspected and cleaned the valve. All looked good at that time.

I had one suggestion of a weak spring on one vane of the oil pump. Seems plausible.

It is the cold steady needle, hot vibrates to a blur that has me baffled. Why should the oil viscosity reduction have such a dramatic effect? Yes I understand the damping effect of viscosity but still don't feel it should be that dramatically different.

Of course there is the harmonic resonance that is dependent on the system dimensions. Thought about putting an insert in the line to reduce the diameter as flow is not a factor. Then felt I was doing too much thinking and that someone else must have had the problem in the past and solved it. This can't be as complicated as rocket science. Beside I understand a bunch of that.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Why not disconnect the oil line to the gauge and install another gauge, any kind of gauge that's appropriate for the system and see what happens. Installing an orfice in the line may souve the problem but cover up a condition that should be resolved. Better yet, place the test gauge at the engine end of the oil line and see what happens. That's easier than working under the dash and the mess is easier to clean up.

Are you operating with an original style oil filter and if so is it starting to restrict the oil flow? Actually all the valve does is bypass the filter when the filter is restricted.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
The same condition was experienced on my 27 and did
many of the above ideas, it finally was corrected by
replacing the vane spring which was in two pieces when removed.
I found a used pump and took the spring from it and it worked fine even tho it was not the exact replacement.

roy
Chipper Offline OP
ChatMaster - 15,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 15,000
Roy,
That is not exactly what I wanted to hear but sometimes the truth hurts. Will try a few things to see if any help but may need to pull the pan and maybe engine again.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Weighing in late as usual, all the previous suggestions are great and I can't add anything constructive.

However I have had to deal with vibrating needle (pointer) on pressure gauges on continuous running diesel engines, especially on the fuel system. The trick is to dampen the pressure on both ends of the gauge circuit, in other words at both the source and the gauge end, using the volume of fluid in the supply line as a damper.

If in fact you discover a problem, then I would say leave it alone, it is your best diagonstician.

Last edited by 25 Speedster; 06/09/09 09:50 AM.

Hans - Still learning

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.