Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#137186 02/20/09 08:24 AM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Hello, Do you think that some salvage yards “JUNK YARDS”should be included and added to historical preservation list ? Here in MD. there is a drive to end junk yards as we know it.
I remember, as a kid visiting junk yards all the time with my father. Now you are hard pressed to find one close to anything .
Some see it as an eyesore , but what rests in some of the older yards is real history.
Dirty as it my seem ,it is very interesting to walk through one.
(Opinion NOT Viewed By Wife!!!!!)

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
findoctr- You are asking this question to a very biased group, In my opinion these Junkyards around the nation are a national treasure and an American way of life. I have had some of my fondest memories stumbling through these goldmines with my back pockets filled with enough tools to disassemble a sherman tank. Enough said!!

hoppy

"Four-Doors-Forever"
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Good luck trying to sell this to the environmentalists! Here in the New York Metro Area just about all the old junkyards have been cleaned up and turned into strip malls. If you find a "recycling yard" it most likely going to look like a Home Depot complete with isles marked "front doors", "hoods", "wheels", and "rear or front clips". The short blocks and frames have been crushed or cut up for scrap.

Unless you guys can find some dinosaur bones under those national treasures I'm sad to say it's just a matter of time before they become extinct.

Chat Group Chapter Member
Current rides;
1968 Camaro rs/SS 350 4spd
2000 Blazer LT
2005 Malibu Maxx
2007 Acura TDX
Last total restoration;
1932 Sport Coupe
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I know the EPA came in to the area of Athens PA and closed one large yard and made them move or crushed the car/trucks and now the place sit ideal.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hey, why not start a listing of the good ol'junkyards in your area if you know of any....????

I know the JYD will never reveal some of his favorites, (hint, hint) but what the heck, we ought to start a list here and Billy Boy may just add them to our favorite vendors page.

Chat Group Chapter Member
Current rides;
1968 Camaro rs/SS 350 4spd
2000 Blazer LT
2005 Malibu Maxx
2007 Acura TDX
Last total restoration;
1932 Sport Coupe
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
thats a great idea! beermugs

1951 Chevrolet Fleetline Deluxe
1972 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu Convertible
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
pic a nic basket and a red and white tablecloth for a afternoon at the yard, French Lake Auto parts FLAP for short cars trucks from 20's to present they have sheds full of off the wall stuff also, owners name is Floyd, couple boys in business they are online look em up driving

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Well I'm from the old school and I believe in individual rights as long as the person is not breaking any plain and simple laws and his yard is environmentally clean. Most of the old yards out there have Grandfather Rights. If a person's place is not environmentally clean he should have the right to bring it up to standards in a fair amount of time. It's just not right for a locality to push someone out, just because they don't like the looks of it or the idea of it.

I also like the idea of a Historical yard. Maybe if 50% or more of the yard have vehicles 25 years or older, it should qualify, but it would be a hard sell. When it comes to salvage yards, it's very important that you had the right to operate or keep cars when it was first created.

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.